What if I'm out at chooks bedtime?

• 16 Replies

camelliagirl

What if I'm out at chooks bedtime?
« on: May 14, 2010, 13:26 »
Ok probably another daft question but here goes .........

If I go out in the evening before it's time that chooks would normally get shut into their house and I won't be back until well after dark, should I put them to bed early or should I wait until I get home and shut their door then?

They will be in an enclosed run so should in theory be safe - the only door which would be open would be inside the run going into their house.

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: What if I'm out at chooks bedtime?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 13:39 »
Mine put themselves to bed and on the rare occasion I get home late I shut the door then. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 16:20 »
If we are not going to be back before it gets dark, we always put them to bed early and get them shut away, this gives us peace of mind when we are out. only one of them sulks, the others don't seem to mind. :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 17:02 »
mine put themselves to bed (they free range) and when I get back I shut their coups up.
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 17:03 »
How do you manage to get them in their house before its their normal bedtime?  I normally shut mine up when I get home if I have been out in the evening but would prefer to put them to bed earlier if I could.  We are also usually early to bed aswell - 10pm and I am wondering how I will get the girls to bed by then in the summer months when they probably won't want to go in until about 11pm - it stays light until very late in the summer here. Any ideas would be gratefully received :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 23:49 »
I get someone else to put mine to bed if I know I'm going out, usually my son will do the honours or my kindly neighbour. I like them to enjoy as much playing out time as possible  :D

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 23:56 »
We look after our neighbours chooks sometimes and have found that a handfull of corn put inside their roosting coop gets them all running in rapidly if we need to get them in early -we'ed never be forgiven if mr fox got them..  Like most animals food seems to be the main motivation!
John

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 07:29 »
My girls have started putting themselves to bed at 8:30 ish I wait in till then then go out I wouldn't trust leaving the door open till I get back. I'd worry to much maybe I'll get less protective with time I've only had them 3 weeks.
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

carolbriar

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 08:43 »
My girls don't go to bed until about 9.40pm.  We still have a couple of months of it getting lighter in the evenings and mine like to stay out until they are ready for bed.  My oh lets them out at about 6.30am so they are out for a long time.  I will have to think about trying the corn in their coop to get them in early if need be.  I always shut them in the coop at night and they always put themselves to bed when they are ready - they are in a run which also has an electric wire round it. :)

Jeanette

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 11:54 »
Mine put themselves to bed and i go and shut the pop hole door later. If you are really worried you can get a automatic thing that opens and closes the door for you. I dont know much about these as we have not got one

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 12:04 »
It all depends on the likelihood of being paid a visit by a fox.  If you know there are foxes about you the wire run needs to be very effective and fox proof.  Urbans foxes are more of a problem that rural generally.

If the house is completely enclosed (and I mean surrounded with a cage) with mesh of at least 19swg, has protection against digging such as being buried 40cms or bent out in a skirt with paving slabs holding it down or protected with an electric wire at low level to prevent digging, you can be fairly confident that you don't need to lock their house too.  If the house is surrounded by a mesh fence it needs to be 6 foot high and be climb proof either protected by an electric wire or an angled outwards overhang.  A 4 foot electricfied net is also effective if there are no easy jumping over points for foxes.

Otherwise try to get them in with a handful of corn as suggested.
Truth through science.

skelly

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 08:14 »
I have only had my hens for a few weeks but notice that when I go out at around 8 to 8:30 at night they are already bedded down for the night and it's just a case of shutting the door.
Is this them telling me i am too late , it is still daylight. I thought you knid of wait until around dusk to put them away?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 08:22 »
some of my smaller girls put themselves to bed early but the older bigger ones don't feel the cold so much so they stay out later  :)

Pretty Chick

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 08:52 »
My hens are the same as joyfull's  :)
My pekin bantams go to bed at least an hour before the orpingtons and black rocks  :D
All lives are precious.

carolbriar

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 09:27 »
I must have night owls ::) mine go to bed about 9.40 :( It is still light here at 11pm during the summer. I need my sleep :D

xx
bedtime

Started by jaq on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 16:02
by joyfull
xx
Bedtime?

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 13:56
by LittleRedHen
xx
help with bedtime please

Started by zopadooper on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 16:45
by AL Hathaway
xx
Bedtime?

Started by Gobsheen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 22:22
by splash101

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 29 queries.