real bad frost

• 10 Replies

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
real bad frost
« on: May 12, 2010, 20:14 »
last night it hit minus 4 on our allotment and some were caught unawares i now have seen for the 1st time what a bad frost will do to unearthed potatoes

two plots up from mine there fleece was touching the leaves and they got hit bad we are due another tonight and friday

so now i know

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: real bad frost
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 21:18 »
 it's a sorry sight  :(

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 21:31 »
Its very sad - I earthed up potatoes yesterday and put a canopy of fleece around some newly planted cabbages. I went to the allotment after work just to check on things and everthing was fine. Not so good for other allotment holders though. Lots of potatoes leaves looking like seaweed!!
I am not sure why someone would plant out their sweet corn so early with no protection - they really did look a mess.
Mind you I think once you have been affected by a severe frost you learn a valuable lesson. I remember planting out my summer bedding early in my first ever garden about 25 years ago. The sadness of finding them all frost damaged the next morning. :(
Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 21:39 »
They grow back fine so its not rly that bad tbh.
Woooooooooooooo

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 22:14 »
and to be honest it is not as if there was no warning. The weather broadcasts each day for the last few days have said there is a high chance of frost and lo and behold we had 2 mornings of frost. Luckily I fleeced the spuds beforehand although part of me thought it was going to be inaccurate forecasts.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 22:19 »
just a quick foot note i sowed beetroot seeds on tuesday morning before the frost about 2 inches down do you think this frost got those too

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 22:21 »
beetroot is very resilient to frost. I did some the last few years from mid march and several hard frosts, yet they still germinated and with later frosts with the germinated beetroots, they were fine

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 23:54 »
Several frosts in a row may well make beetroot bolt to flower.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:14 »
All my beetroot have come up but last night was the first recent frost we have been hit by. The water in the dogs dish outside the back door had a layer of ice on top which is usually only seen up till about February.  ???
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

diggerjoe

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:36 »
The sweetpeas and pea plants in pots on a table in the back garden were solid this morning but the leaves look ok Im just annoyed I cant get to the plot till the weekend although I had earthed up the earlies wpould have been through again. Almost thinking of taking time off work this afternoon to go and fleece things I'd have top have  very good excuse though as I'm in charge of the day's meetings :nowink:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 21:17 »
I am not sure why someone would plant out their sweet corn so early with no protection - they really did look a mess.

Last year I sowed by Sweetcorn on 1st April and planted out on 4th May and we had no frosts and they were fine.

This year, knowing that there would be late frosts <fx:Whistles!> I didn't sow until 1st May, and they won't be ready to plant out until end of May / Early June.

Some years you win :) ... some not :(

xx
First real harvest

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 19:40
by Mitsy
xx
first real harvest

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 11:18
by bigben
xx
Real seed collection

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 20:01
by Goldfinger
xx
At last, a real gardening post...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 16, 2020, 15:59
by Robster

Page created in 0.665 seconds with 38 queries.