I want Indian Runner Ducks running around the garden

• 1 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
I'm a duck newbie, but having seen some Indian Runners at a friend's house I've just got to have some!

We have a couple of chickens / Eglu, that's the limit of my knowledge on feathered friends.

We have a pond (2 ponds about 10M diameter, with a 20M straight-bit linking them)

I have a small shed that used to be used as a dog kennel which I could move just behind the end of a hedge that is adjacent with the pond - if that would be suitable home for them?

I read that keeping them locked up until mid-morning would get them to lay indoors.  Not too worried about number of eggs as the 2 chickens produce 80% of what we need (i.e. although I don't need good layers, I'm happy to  give away any that are extra)

I like the look of Malards, so might prefer an Indian Runner variety that looks like them.  2 x girls and 1 x boy perhaps?

We get a ton bag of grain (Barley) once a year which feeds the chickens (in part) and the rest of the visiting Pheasants etc. Is that a good start? (can supplement with whatever else they need, although if its the same as the chickens that makes life easier)

Do I get baby chicks, or what? (I don't have an incubator, nor probably the patience or skill  / time to raise a baby chick)

All advice welcome, thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: I want Indian Runner Ducks running around the garden
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 15:16 »
Hi Kristen, hopefully one of the ducky people will be along shortly to answer your questions but the shed and ponds sound great. I think you may need chicken feed that doesn't have ACS in it as well as the grain.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Indian Runner Ducks

Started by spot on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 11:28
by WG.
xx
Indian Runner ducks

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 13:15
by Lewjam
xx
Indian Runner Ducks

Started by Viv on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 23, 2008, 06:23
by james419
xx
indian runner ducks

Started by maggiemay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 10, 2015, 04:06
by tosca100

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 29 queries.