Overwintering onions - a few looking like they're about to flower

• 16 Replies

Snoop

I've got some overwintering onions bought from a nursery on the go. I have no idea what they are, except that they're onions. They were put in the ground last November in two different patches, one a couple of degrees warmer than the other. In the warmer patch, the onions share a bed with a row of peas.

In the last few days some of the onions in the warmer spot have got damaged at the neck and are leaning over. All the leaves, even these bent ones, are extremely healthy and bright green. I assumed the damage was done by our hens (free ranging) or wind. However, today I noticed that a couple of the onions  look to have a flower bud forming at the top of what I thought was a very sturdy leaf. I've never seen onions flower before (never grown overwintering onions before). These onions are about tennis ball size, so big enough to use, though not as big as the ones I grew last summer.

The locals are expecting to start harvesting their onions soon, though not yet by any means. As the leaves are so green and healthy, and the onions are definitely still swelling, I'm a bit taken aback. They certainly don't look to have much of a skin formed.

Is this normal? And what are the culinary qualities of an onion that has formed a flower bud? Not great, I imagine. Any views as to what I should do? Pick and store?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Whip off the flower head. The onion will continue to grow, but will have this enlarged stalk in the centre, which will soon go off when harvested. For this reason, use these onions first.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Snoop

Thanks DD.

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
I'm not sure it's worth planting overwintering onions as far South as you are Snoop.

Last year I planted some as well as spring planted ones. Many of the overwintered ones flowered and were then quite tough, due to the flower stalk.

They definitely won't store and should be used asap.

Snoop

Hi Carrotcake,

I'm intrigued - why might it not be worth planting as far south as here? I've not got much experience of growing onions. Is there anything about overwintering onions I need to know?

I have to say where we are, the climate isn't what you'd expect of Spain. Daytime temps are currently quite warm - maybe in the 20s today, but night time is down to between 0 and 2șC. It's also extremely wet at the moment.

The other factor to consider is that we eat a lot of onions. I probably had around 130 kg in storage at the end of last summer and they're pretty well all gone. We've started eating the overwintering ones in salads. I'll probably end up with around 30 kg all told, so I can't see them lasting that long.

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
Only from my experience last year, when most of my overwintered onions threw up flower heads and were then no good to store for the winter, whereas I didn't have the same problem with those sown in the spring.

I've tried both again this year so it'll be interesting to see if the same thing happens.

DD.

• Global Moderator
You would not store over-wintering onions for winter in any event. They are not long term storers and are more of a stop-gap between last year's spring planted onions running out & this year's maturing.

2 or 3 months storage is the best you can hope for generally.

JohnB47

Went to my allotment tonight, after reading this post and sure enough, about four of my Sensui Yellow onions had produced little seed sprouts. I whipped them off sharpish.

Have I saved the day by being quick off the mark or is the damage done? I wasn't expecting to save them - I have some spring sown ones in too, so what is the damage exactly?

Also, did I do something wrong (or did I not do something right) to cause this?

Ta.

solway cropper

Have to agree with DD. The whole point of overwintering onions is to get an early start so that you have fresh onions before the maincrop are ready. Some of mine have thrown up seed heads so I pulled them up and bunged them through the blender to use in soups.

Snoop

Also, did I do something wrong (or did I not do something right) to cause this?
Ta.

That was my thought too, JohnB47. Only thing I can think of is that mine have had a fair amount of nitrogen, what with fertiliser and the peas. Plus, we did have a ridiculously hot spell for a few days a couple of weeks back, so they might have thought summer was here.

In my case, fortunately, the onions in the less favourable spot are a bit behind, so I might manage to stagger the harvest a bit. They'll all be used up by the time the summer salad onions they grow here are ready.

Just in case anyone is interested, the salad onions here are Valencianes and nothing like spring onions. I've seen the seeds offered in catalogues. Just about all of mine last year were a kilo and more each (biggest was over 1.5 kg, and I had lots around 1.4 kg). They were fantastic in flavour, plus they kept far better than I was expecting.

bigben

When are you meant to harvest overwintering onions? Do you do it by a set date or do you wait until to tops yellow?

DD.

• Global Moderator
I start using mine as soon as they are big enough, rather than buy, even if not fully mature.

As with spring planted onions, the tops will flop over of their own accord when the onion is fully mature.

Snoop

I start using mine as soon as they are big enough, rather than buy, even if not fully mature.

As with spring planted onions, the tops will flop over of their own accord when the onion is fully mature.

Eeh, DD. I right missed you while you were gone. Glad you're back but hope you had a good time while you were away.

mark0912

Did not know overwintering onions did not store well  :(

Can anyone tell me if it is too late to start ones that will store this winter?

Snoop

Did not know overwintering onions did not store well  :(

Can anyone tell me if it is too late to start ones that will store this winter?

Hi mark0912, maybe I wasn't clear. These are onions that I planted out last November so that they overwintered in the ground. That's why I called them overwintering.

Where I am, we're just planting out onions to pick around September to store for use during the winter. Not sure when you'd plant them out in the UK. These winter storage onions will last for months. I still have about 20 or so left and they are still in good condition. Of the 130 or so I picked, I've only had to chuck a couple out. Wait for an expert, but I would have thought you were in good time still.

xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband
xx
Overwintering onions

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2019, 18:48
by chillimummy
xx
Overwintering onions

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 18:55
by beansticks
xx
Overwintering onions

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 16, 2020, 01:51
by CHRISDONOHUE

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 28 queries.