Blight

• 30 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Blight
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 20:53 »
I shall remember that advice Learner -- thank you very much.

Should I see the first signs I might try a spray of copper sulphate every few days --  I don't have acres of spuds though  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 01:47 »
I shall remember that advice Learner -- thank you very much.

Should I see the first signs I might try a spray of copper sulphate every few days --  I don't have acres of spuds though  ;)

I have five 30 ft rows...... that's just too much green to spray.  ::)

I did consider spraying outside tomatoes last year...but the OH would not have eaten them had she known.... blighted all round I was  :tongue2:  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 10:00 »
Am I imagining it...or don't you have to remove all the fruit before you spray toms....
from confused in Ashford  :wacko:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 10:04 »
Can't remember off the top of me 'ead how long you have to leave it with Dithane, before you can eat the fruit.

What I do is pick any ripe or ripening ones, then spray. By the time any more fruit is ripe it will be safe to pick, then spray again if there's still danger.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 10:25 »
Thanks DD nice to see you around :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 14:10 »
Can't remember off the top of me 'ead how long you have to leave it with Dithane, before you can eat the fruit.

What I do is pick any ripe or ripening ones, then spray. By the time any more fruit is ripe it will be safe to pick, then spray again if there's still danger.

I know it says on the Dithane packet - might it be 14 days but that sounds quite a bit - I have the packet somewhere but have never used the stuff.... I keep it rather like a nuclear deterrent.... never really want to use it!!

Shame the little blighters aren't put off by the picture on the box!  :wacko:

Snoop

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 15:45 »
Learner said:
I know it says on the Dithane packet - might it be 14 days but that sounds quite a bit - I have the packet somewhere but have never used the stuff.... I keep it rather like a nuclear deterrent.... never really want to use it!!

(Apologies for quoting like this Learner, I got myself in a right pickle with deleting stuff in your post and DD's.)

I once bought a bag of copper sulphate (no lime) on local advice. According to the instructions, the safety period is three weeks. No idea what it would be for Bordeaux mixture or Dithane, but I presume something similar.

I use it extremely sparingly. Although the sulphur helps the chlorophyll, it's altogether too easy to burn leaves with it. I won't be using it on my spuds at all this year, having given myself a fright last year that they all had blight and all of a sudden when in fact it was just chemical damage.

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 18:54 »
Bordeaux mixture or Dithane.........

I use it extremely sparingly. Although the sulphur helps the chlorophyll, it's altogether too easy to burn leaves with it. I won't be using it on my spuds at all this year, having given myself a fright last year that they all had blight and all of a sudden when in fact it was just chemical damage.

I simply haven't considered using anything spray wise as there is just too much to spray and I'd rather not risk eating any of it even if it is safe  ::)

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 19:15 »
how I ummed and ahhed last year about using sprays and the like. But given so many people infect themselves with tobacco and alcohol and other legal chemicals in arguably far greater, longer term and more dangerous levels than many of the sprays for the garden (relatively small doses and rarely) I bit the bullet and did spray some of the things. Not much, just a little.

And boy I am glad I did especially when most of my tomatoes and potatoes and other things last year were good when some of my neighbours' were decimated.

However it is very noble not to want to spray and I resist. But the rising anger at the elements and the critters when much-looked-after crops getting ruined just about sways me.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 19:23 »
At the risk of sounding thick, i have charlotte spuds and toms in the same greenhouse. Asking for trouble?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 19:29 »
. Asking for trouble?
No more than having just one or the other IMO
It either gets in or it doesn't.....................

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 00:33 »
how I ummed and ahhed last year about using sprays and the like. But given so many people infect themselves with tobacco and alcohol and other legal chemicals in arguably far greater, longer term and more dangerous levels than many of the sprays for the garden (relatively small doses and rarely) I bit the bullet and did spray some of the things. Not much, just a little.

And boy I am glad I did especially when most of my tomatoes and potatoes and other things last year were good when some of my neighbours' were decimated.

However it is very noble not to want to spray and I resist. But the rising anger at the elements and the critters when much-looked-after crops getting ruined just about sways me.

One can be blighted by bigger things than flying spores... and these bigger things will be sprayed or even spayed if I get my hands on them!  >:(

Went to the plot late this evening and discovered a 3 metre, 7 hoop, plastic covered cloche has three girt big tears / holes in it...  >:(  >:(  :(  :(

Foxes!!! The blessed things have been holding dance competitions on my plot again... gallivanting all over the shop and pouncing into my cloche almost trampling on the early lettuce.

Is there a spray for dealing with foxes? I'd use it immediately without hesitation  :mad:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 08:39 »
Is there a spray for dealing with foxes? I'd use it immediately without hesitation  :mad:

There have been posts on the site suggesting that an application of home-made fluid delivered via one's own built-in (male) applicator deters foxes using the principle of scent marking.

Don't know how effective (or practical) this is!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 10:33 »
I believe you can get a device that sprays little balls of lead at foxes,  I think that may ease the problem. Won't cure the blight though ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 01:07 »

There have been posts on the site suggesting that an application of home-made fluid delivered via one's own built-in (male) applicator deters foxes using the principle of scent marking.

Don't know how effective (or practical) this is!  ;)

If weeeee have many more problems with the fluffy little hounds I might well try that!!  :lol:

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
sad
Blight?

Started by Mitsy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 19:40
by azubah
xx
blight

Started by ESSEX GRAY on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 10:08
by JayG
xx
Is this Blight?

Started by nwalch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 19:01
by Salmo

Page created in 0.702 seconds with 38 queries.