early spuds question

• 10 Replies

Bognor Lee

early spuds question
« on: May 08, 2010, 00:34 »
I have had some rocket spuds in potato sacks growing in the poly tunnel since Feb. Flowers are forming but not opening - some at the allotment say you have to wait until the flowers drop others say this is not important.

Just wondering what other people think about this.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
Re: early spuds question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 01:40 »
We let our main crop flower before harvesting but you can harvest early variety once the flowers have opened.   But that is usual practice for crops grown outside, not in sacks in a PT.  The good thing about planting outside is that you can sort of take a peek without disturbing the plant too much.  Not sure how you'd go about that in a sack.

The thing that I don't know is if there is some trigger in the flowers opening that means that potato quantity or quality is better after this point.  When a plant flowers it's chemical balance shifts.    For the sake of a week or two I'd sit on my hands and wait for the flowers.

Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 03:30 »
We grow ours outside only and we always wait until after the flowers fade and the halums die off before digging them up. We can steal a few after the flowers appear but rarely before. The flowers on our maincrops indicate that the tubers are starting to size up.

goodegg

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 06:13 »
for earlies you dont have to wait for floowers but if i where you i would give them a couple of weeks and keep watering this will make the spuds swell.in the winter it takes four months in summer its around three months from planting thats just rough estimate i used to grow them to sell thats the times i used to work with.

Bognor Lee

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 08:05 »
Many thanks

I will wait my wife swears they taste better if you do.

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 11:32 »
I think Rocket is different from some of the other earlies as it's only supposed to take 8 weeks from planting to harvest.  I trying it this year and I'm guessing that there will just be a few very early potatoes.  The foliage has certainly been growing much quicker than any of my other potatoes.   I shall be having a furtle in a couple of week, weather permitting  ;)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 12:38 »
For me it all depends on what size you want your spuds, I notice most old boys like their's bigger than me so the best way for me is to scratch a couple out and check the size, if correct then thats it, if too small leave if to big jump up and down cursing but still harvest.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 16:12 »
I think Rocket is different from some of the other earlies as it's only supposed to take 8 weeks from planting to harvest.  I trying it this year and I'm guessing that there will just be a few very early potatoes.  The foliage has certainly been growing much quicker than any of my other potatoes.   I shall be having a furtle in a couple of week, weather permitting  ;)

I tried Rocket this year too, but I actually ended up trying 5 varieties of earlies in containers, as an experiment. I carefully labelled and dated every one, but sadly I was having a blonde day and didn't use waterproof labels :) I now have absolutely no idea which one is which.

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 16:33 »

I tried Rocket this year too, but I actually ended up trying 5 varieties of earlies in containers, as an experiment. I carefully labelled and dated every one, but sadly I was having a blonde day and didn't use waterproof labels :) I now have absolutely no idea which one is which.

If mine are anything to go by, the Rocket will be the ones that are growing much quicker than the others.  I can't believe how much foliage there is now.

I was given a present of some really thick slate labels and a special pencil that can only be removed with white spirit.  They're the sort of things that you would buy as a present but not indulge in yourself.  They're brilliant  :)

Sorry I digressed :blush:

goodegg

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 18:57 »
i agree aidy they do taste better when bantam egg size thats lovelly but ive eaten mine allready i had a few in the greenhouse planted about the end of august.

solway cropper

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 00:01 »
shokkyy, don't worry about having a blonde moment. If you go on the British potato variety database you can see pictures of the tatties and their flowers. Might help  :)

xx
First early, no spuds yet

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 14:55
by Iain@JBA
xx
Early spuds

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 21:18
by engineer
xx
first early spuds

Started by clarkey95 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:12
by mumofstig
xx
2nd Early Spuds

Started by Bluebell007 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 16:57
by Bluebell007

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 28 queries.