Poor Broadbeans.

• 19 Replies

bigben

Re: Poor Broadbeans.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 10:38 »
My Aquadulce planted last November survived the Winter and are now 2' high with masses of flowers and pods already formed!!! And no blackfly (yet!)
I'll definitely be doing the over-wintering thing again.

I have grown broad beans for the first time and sowed aquadulce and they seem to be doing ok - I have nothing to compare them to - I lost one to frost or nasties but the others are coming on ok. I will sow them again next year and get them in earlier. These went into paper pots in Jan and planted out Feb but I gather they are meant to overwinter.

dd angus

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 11:23 »
Lardman not quite sure whether the damage you describe is bean / pea weevil. Pea/ beanweevil adults eat very distinct notches (half-circles) out of the leaves, the larvae eat the underground  nitrogen fixing nodules (that are found on legumes (peas and beans)) later in the year. Do you have a problem with pidgeons ? Low yield of beans in previous years might be connected to a cool summer and less pollination by bumbelebees and thus less beans. In my experience damage by bean weevil will not really influence the yield too much.

Also in reply to another post nipping out the top of growing plants helps against black fly (aphids) but has no effect on bean weevils.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 19:09 »
Interestingly I have exactly the same damage on the edges of the pea leaves grown undera cloche at school -- not pigeons then  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 21:00 »
Lardman not quite sure whether the damage you describe is bean / pea weevil. Pea/ beanweevil adults eat very distinct notches (half-circles) out of the leaves

It is - as you say its very distinctive.  Flying rats aren't really a problem here, too many cat  ::)

Its the sand box Im trying to grow in, I know it is... its just too sandy to hold any moisture and the beans show that more than anything else I grow.  >:( The dry start has retarded then and the pests are having a field day.  :mad:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 21:03 »
Could be that the dry conditions here have worsened the problem. I shall give 'em all a good soak tomorrow and hope to drown the weevil blighters  :nowink:

xx
Poor set on the broadbeans

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 09:35
by JayG
xx
broadbeans

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 20:06
by gobs
xx
broadbeans

Started by kiowa on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2007, 10:23
by ACatCalledElvis
xx
Broadbeans

Started by maelyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 21:08
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 36 queries.