Poor set on the broadbeans

• 12 Replies

Lardman

Poor set on the broadbeans
« on: May 20, 2011, 22:07 »
Suttons Dwarf.

Very poor set by the looks again this year - I've seen the bumbles going mad over them so Im a little confused. Dry pollen do you think? I might go back to aquadulce next year.

Hows everyone else getting on - or am I just a little odd for examine the plants for flower drop and mini pods  ::)

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Poor set on the broadbeans
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 01:46 »
I've been having the same thoughts on my Imperial Longpod. It's my first time growing broad beans so I wasn't quite sure whether or not it was normal, but although I can see mini pods coming there seems to be quite a lot of flowers that have dropped without leaving a mini pod behind. And like you, I've been watching the bees going nuts for them for weeks now.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 07:08 »
I've been watering my broad beans - something I'd not normally do but it has been so dry.

I think in order to develop pods they may well need a little extra help if it's as dry where you are as it is here.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:34 »
Mine don't seem great either, lovely healthy plants full of flowers and happy bee's but hardley any beans.  :unsure:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 09:20 »
I've been watering my broad beans - something I'd not normally do but it has been so dry.

I think in order to develop pods they may well need a little extra help if it's as dry where you are as it is here.  :(

I have been watering them, and giving them BFB once a month.

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 10:21 »
Good growth and flowering on my Bunyards Exhibition - I have had to water though  :)
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 14:36 »
They've been kept well watered especially during the very hot spell. The plants themselves look extremely healthy and there were flowers aplenty.  Instead of beans the flowers are dropping - I don't expect 100% set but It looks at best 1 bean per cluster with most nothing at all.

I had much the same with last years bunyards exhibition - very good looking plants but very few beans, makes me think its not the variety, which really only leaves the growing conditions.  :mellow: or pollination problems.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 15:08 »
I grow Bunyards only but I have always found that the lower first beans drop off, then they pick up well afterwards. I think it is a pollination issue.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 15:11 »
some of mine have little holes at the back of the flowers I think it's bees  :unsure:
It's these flowers that don't set   :blink:

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 15:56 »
I grow Bunyards.
They were noticeably shorter than normal until the last lot of rain, but now look a lot more healthy.
There are plenty of flowers on them, but I have not noticed any setting yet. They look promising.

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 21:44 »
some of mine have little holes at the back of the flowers I think it's bees  :unsure:
It's these flowers that don't set   :blink:

Well spotted....."little holes" Personally mine could have huge big holes and I'd probably not see them although I did spot the blackfly!

Now... what is the name of the type of bee that chews a hole through the back of flowers to get at the pollen and nectar? I've forgotten.  :blink: But I do know they are responsible for lack of pollination as they don't trample about and pollinate the flower.

I think this only occurs early in the season so, hopefully, the rest should set OK.

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 23:50 »
We haven't got any broad bean pods either, even though there are honey bees living next door and we've got loads of white tailed bumbles nesting in a bird box.  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 09:35 »
Now... what is the name of the type of bee that chews a hole through the back of flowers to get at the pollen and nectar? I've forgotten.  :blink: But I do know they are responsible for lack of pollination as they don't trample about and pollinate the flower.

It's short-tongued bees wot do it 'cos it's the only way they can reach the nectar!  :tongue2:

Wot you need for beans is lots of these:  :tongue2:  :tongue2:   :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2: (not that you have any choice in the matter!)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Poor Broadbeans.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 21:03
by sunshineband
xx
Broadbeans

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 11:44
by plopleuk
xx
broadbeans

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 20:06
by gobs
xx
broadbeans

Started by kiowa on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2007, 10:23
by ACatCalledElvis

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 38 queries.