Order of hardyness

• 5 Replies

chimaera

• Experienced Member
Order of hardyness
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:51 »
I won't be able to plant out all of the tender things that are in the greenhouse at the moment at once; is there a recognised order of what is most or least hardy that will dictate the order these should be done? I assume they are in the rough order (from most hardy to most tender);
French and runner beans
sweetcorn, courgettes, pumpkins
tomatoes, cucumber, basil
peppers, chilli, aubergine

Where the last should only go out when it is getting to summer type weather.

Charlie

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
Re: Order of hardyness
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:03 »
you may want to put cumcumber nearer the tender end!  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:15 »
They would all be killed by a frost, so it's really a question of which is likely to sulk the most by temperatures (night and day) which are not to their liking.

I would say your list is about right, although as has been said many times cucumbers do seem to have very little in the way of survival instincts!

I can't sucessfully grow pepper, chillis and aubergines outdoors in Sheffield, no doubt you will have a better chance in London if you choose a sheltered, sunny spot.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 14:57 »
I remember watching English movies from the 50's to '80's where they grew cukes only in large cold frames due to the too cool temps.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 15:39 »
Last year I put out a couple of ridge cuces at the same time of the courgettes and they sat there looking sad for a while, with 2 dying, before picking up and racing away to produce the first fruit at the same time as the first courgettes. This year I'll leave the outdoor ones a bit longer, but I have a couple of all female F1s this year in an unheated greenhouse that already have fruit starting to set, so they are happy in coolish, but not cold, conditions (windowsill sown mid Feb, moved into unheated greenhouse early April, largest now 60cm high) .

Charlie

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 17:46 »
All about the same because they all will perish in frost and really dislike the cold. If you do put them out then try to protect with plastic bottles as cloches, fleece (2 layers) etc. But best of all leave inside until at least 3rd week of May.

I was cold down in my polytunnel at 5 pm the other eve, so I'm sure my plants were!

xx
Tall order in short order

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 13:49
by digalotty
xx
Order placed

Started by PAH48 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2008, 20:59
by Bombers
xx
Potatoe Order

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2014, 16:12
by wil4025
xx
Got my seed order done

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 00:29
by Paul Plots

Page created in 2.472 seconds with 29 queries.