Suffolk colt lawnmower

• 4 Replies

southwells farm

Suffolk colt lawnmower
« on: May 02, 2010, 21:43 »
Hi all,

I've picked up a Suffolk colt lawnmower today, unfortunatly its not producing a spark at the moment.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of these motors, any advice very welcome please!

Also looking for manuals (long shot i know)

Adam

Gwiz

Re: Suffolk colt lawnmower
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:15 »
Behind the flywheel, you will find a set of points. I expect that they will need cleaning at the very least.
Take of the orange/ red cover, and you will find find the flywheel. This has a "half moon" shaped plastic  cover in it which can be prized out. you should be able to see the points opening and closing as you turn the flywheel to the left and right. Fully open should be around 18 thou-20 thou, I think. You might find that you need to clean up the points' surface with some fine emery cloth.
If you need to adjust them, this can be done through the small hole, just loosen the setting screw and move the points set to give the correct gap, tighten the setting screw and check the gap.
The older engines used to print the correct gap on the "half moon" cover.

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 19:10 »
Very good advice from Graham . One thing i have found works well on points .
Is a nail emery board . Just a gentle rub does the trick .
Digging ,Growing ,& the sport of kings.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 14:14 »
Would also suggest "painting" the open points with an artist's paintbrush dipped in meths after adjusting and emery-cleaning to remove any traces of oil or grit particles (it will evaporate in seconds.)

I have found in the past that electrical contact was still not being made after cleaning due to either slight oil contamination of the feeler blades used to measure the gap or tiny particles of abrasive preventing proper contact.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 14:20 »
Would also suggest "painting" the open points with an artist's paintbrush dipped in meths after adjusting and emery-cleaning to remove any traces of oil or grit particles (it will evaporate in seconds.)

I have found in the past that electrical contact was still not being made after cleaning due to either slight oil contamination of the feeler blades used to measure the gap or tiny particles of abrasive preventing proper contact.

The whole thing sounds like an extract from the log of The Star Ship Enterprise to me.... but my Dad says a splosh of meths helps!  ;)

I'll stick to my bike  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
suffolk colt engine

Started by ken brearley on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 21:39
by adal
xx
Suffolk Punch 14SK LawnMower MANUAL

Started by pompeyboy61 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2013, 17:34
by Gwiz
xx
Suffolk mower.

Started by Motivator on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 23, 2015, 14:53
by Motivator
xx
Lawnmower help please

Started by Maryann on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 17:25
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 29 queries.