Delphiniums

• 15 Replies

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Delphiniums
« on: April 30, 2010, 08:43 »
I've grown some delphs from seed and they're doing well! They're still small, about 4/5 inches high but sturdy, now, my question is, does anyone know how quickly they take off in the garden - do I plant them in one group as I can't bear one dotted here and another dotted there, and then split next spring or will they do better planted individually around the garden to and grit my teeth while they look lost and mean spirited!!! Thanks, Jude.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Delphiniums
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 09:32 »
Put it this way the ones that I planted out as singles last year are now about 12/15in across the clump. Mind you they were the large Pacific Giants variety, lining up to their name perhaps  ;)

Slowgrind

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:16 »
How do you cope with slugs on your Delphs? Mine get ruined every year. I've got some seeds germinating at the moment and I think that I'll have to resort to slug pellets to keep them till next year. That's a last resort though!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:19 »
I cope by using slug pellets, nematodes are good but they are pricey as they only last for about 6 weeks before you need to reapply :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:34 »
Young delph shoots are one of slugs favourite foods and they will have the lot overnight if you don't protect them well ('fraid it's slug pellets for me as well!)

Much less of a problem once they have grown a foot or so. My Pacific Giants were grown from seed and have been about a 18" apart in the same bed for years (I dig them all up every few years to replant the newer, outside part of the roots to keep them vigorous.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Slowgrind

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:26 »
Slug pellets it is then! I've managed to keep some of last late summers lupins slug free and I'll plant them out a little later, ring fenced with SP's!

Spana

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 20:37 »
I'd go for planting in a group.  Like you I hate singles here and there, big patches are better and dont forget to put supports in early.  Four canes  with string round like a cage per plant They'll look lovely, I love delphiniums :)

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 21:23 »
Thanks everyone, they're just the regular sized ones so I'll plant in groups and divide next year .......and I've got a full tub of slug pellets! Jude.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 22:10 »
I've just received some Michael Ayres delphiniums through the post - part of a retirement present. They are beautiful plants once they get established and the spikes of flowers are wonderfully impressive.

None of this would have been possible without the aid of "slug bait".....many of the little critters were harmed in the growing of this plant  :ohmy:

michael ayres 04.jpg
delphinium ma.jpg
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Spana

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 09:34 »
What beauties, one of my favourite flowers.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 12:29 »
Wow! I that one plant or several?

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 19:16 »
Wow! I that one plant or several?

I have two plants ... but it took a couple of years to reach that size.. usually flowers twice a year after being cut back after end of first show..

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 16:42 »
I grew two from seed several years ago and they have bushed out considerably. I use clematis netting around them in spring so the leaves can grow through and hide it. Last year I planted four more and this year they, too, are bushing out. Allow plenty of room for them when planting. Strangely enough, despite having loads of snails here, they have never bothered them!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 18:44 »
I grew two from seed several years ago and they have bushed out considerably. I use clematis netting around them in spring so the leaves can grow through and hide it. Last year I planted four more and this year they, too, are bushing out. Allow plenty of room for them when planting. Strangely enough, despite having loads of snails here, they have never bothered them!

You're lucky - perhaps your snails are short sighted? Our slugs would love them when they first start off in spring if they got the chance  :mad:

Mulch yours? Do you?

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 13:01 »
I usually put our home-made compost, mushroom compost or our rotted sheep manure on - depends if I have enough to go round. If not, then I jus use chicken manure pellets but no mulch.

question
delphiniums

Started by bridienme on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 09:11
by DD.
xx
Delphiniums

Started by Antonius on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 18:16
by Antonius
xx
Delphiniums

Started by rugbymad40 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2007, 09:25
by Sheena
xx
Delphiniums

Started by Tinbasher on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 20:48
by Tinbasher

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 38 queries.