Have I made a mistake? Chicken poo / veg garden

• 4 Replies

UrbanG

Have I made a mistake? Chicken poo / veg garden
« on: April 29, 2010, 11:13 »
I have 2 large raised beds which I build over the winter and using for the 1st time now.
They were both filled with a mix of weed free top soil and multi compost.

The 1st one I have rocking and rolling already from seeds started in pots inside and transplanted and it seems to be doing well.

The second one I was going to seed directly in May (or about now)

My issue is:
We have 2 chickens
For the last month or so I have been putting the chicken droppings directly into the soil thinking it would make some nice soil conditions.

Last night my mother told me that the poop needs to be composted for quite a while before putting in the soil as it would be to 'hot' (whatever that means)?? and it would ruin my seeds and plants in that particular bed??

Has my dear old mother made that up???

If its correct, have a totally ruined one of my new beds for this year?
Is there anything I can do? or am I just worrying to much???? again.. :)

1st year at 'proper' veggie gardening with 2x 12ftx4ft raised beds. loads of patio containers, 2 chickens and 1 ferret.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: Have I made a mistake? Chicken poo / veg garden
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:24 »
Fresh chicken poop is rather 'rich', I'm afraid.

Why not skim the best of the poo off the top and add it to your compost and then give the bed a god forking in, digging the residue in well... others might tell you different, but that should get you back on track.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 12:43 »
Mum's right.  So is Scabs.

Get what you can in the compost bin, and look forward to spectacular compost next year but remember to layer the chicken poop with other organic matter.

If you plant seedlings in the bed then remember to dig a slightly bigger hole for each plant and drop a bit more compost in the hole before planting.  This should afford it a bit of extra protection to the young plants just in case the soil is still a bit “hot”.  It's belt and braces stuff really.  Scabs advice should see you right.

Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 21:01 »
Do you put lots of straw in your chicken house?  If so, when this is mixed with the poop and cleared out it makes a superb filler for a runner bean trench, the poop feed ing the beans and the straw aiding water retention. 

As for putting it straight in raised beds, minus straw, I would agree with others on here in that it can be too strong for tender young plants.  However, if you put it under the compost then your veggies should come on a treat (working on the basis that the roots will be well developed and able to withstand the acidity by the time they get down to the poop)

Good luck!

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 21:31 »
There has been much discussion about this but most people believe that it should be composted first when used in the veg patch.
That saying....I regularly poo pick the grass in the garden and chuck it on the borders and after only a year you'd be amazed at the growth and health of my plants!!!
I think laying hens produce a pretty balanced poo (acid/alkaline) but it's great as an accelerator in the compost!!!

xx
Have I made a mistake?

Started by Half a plot man on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 21:08
by Half a plot man
xx
Have I made a mistake?

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2020, 16:42
by Mr Dog
xx
Anyone else made this mistake?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2016, 10:37
by Growster...
angry
OOPS! made a mistake

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 21:19
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.641 seconds with 30 queries.