sweetcorn in the same bed as last year

• 3 Replies

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
sweetcorn in the same bed as last year
« on: April 29, 2010, 08:27 »
Ideally I wouldnt want to plant in the same place as they were last year but in the plot I inherited that is the only space left! bad planning or what on my part but corn was an afterthought for me.

My previous plot holder was great in that he gave me his plan of what was grown where, with his scribblings and notes as to what worked and what didnt (very handy as a novice).

Anyhow if I plant my corn where he did last year, given that lots of rich compost and the like can get well worked into that area to replace nutrients, is that a bad thing?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sweetcorn in the same bed as last year
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:35 »
well my thought is that if you hadn't had his plan then you would have just put it there and it would have grown.
At least you now know that it will need very good feeding to succeed 8)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:48 »
Sweetcorn are remarkably pest and disease-free so there is little risk from any carried-over problems from last year.

With plenty of good nourishment they should do well, especially if they did so last year.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:24 »
Don't worry about it.

Growing on such a small scale any pests or diseases are likely to find their way across the path between beds anyway, anything airborne will blow over from anywhere on your plot and from your neighbours as well.  So crop rotation from a disease point of view isn't really worth it (my opinion).

However from a nutrient, pH or organic matter point of view, it does matter. As long as it has plenty to feed on (you've given it plenty of compost to start with, corn is hungry so make sure you feed it some feed later) it should be ok.

xx
How did your sweetcorn perform this year?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post September 19, 2014, 20:56
by Jackypam
xx
Sweetcorn - late this year

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 19:49
by Wombat
xx
2nd year of stunted sweetcorn

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 15:52
by JayG
xx
Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
by Rob the rake

Page created in 0.526 seconds with 30 queries.