Sweetcorn - late this year

• 7 Replies

Zippy

Sweetcorn - late this year
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:04 »
I think most things have been about four weeks late this year but I notice we were tucking in to fat cobs of sweetcorn this time last year and the ones I have this year are still very small and the tassles are still green/purple. A couple have not fertilised at all.

Has anyone else had a bad sweetcorn crop this year? I don't think there is going to be enough sunshine to bring this crop on now - was hoping for a long summer as it was late, but not looking hopeful with the colder nights we are having.

Fisherman

Re: Sweetcorn - late this year
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 06:38 »
It's my first time growing sweetcorn this year but expected it to be ready by now. The plants are a decent size but the cobs are just slow to ripen. Hopefully they will ripen this week when the forecast is for sunny weather although we might get a few chilly nights.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:24 »
The corn I grew and planted early managed to catch the hot weather in june/july(?) and were fine, great harvest :)
The 2nd lot sown about a month later, when I finally got the allotment, were absolute rubbish........they didn't get pollinated properly and only grew a very few small cobs. They weren't any good to eat on the cob, I had to strip the usable bits of to serve :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 16:38 »
Same as last year; promising up to 3 cobs per plant but delivering only about 1 1/2 on average (delicious though!)

Probably the same reason as last year; the warmth and sunshine just finished too early to bring them all on and there were some quite high winds around pollination time as well.

Am going to stagger the planting by a few weeks next year, hopefully planting the later ones upwind of the earlier ones in the hope of pollinating some of the later "female" tassels which might have missed out. The rest will again be down to the weather!  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 17:25 »
Great minds think alike Jay, that's exactly what I plan to do  ;)

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 18:32 »
I staggered my sweetcorn, two plantings about 6 weeks apart and the later ones caught up somehow and they've all come in together.

Totty

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 19:21 »
Mine were planted out a fair bit later than everyone else on the allotments but their plants have stayed short with a few small cobs, mine are now around six foot and with the cobs forming, with them coming this late, does it mean they wont fill out and ripen now we are getting into autumn?

Wombat

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 19:49 »
We are still in with a chance.  This year's weather has been much the same as last year here and I did not get any ripe cobs until mid-September last year.  Got maybe 1 or 2 per plant despite there being usually 3 developing on each stem.  However, it does seem to be getting very cold much earlier this year, so early frosts could put paid to that!

xx
IS IT TOO LATE TO SOW SWEETCORN?

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 20:09
by DD.
xx
Late with sweetcorn?

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 06:21
by finleyfreyaseth
xx
Sweetcorn - too late?

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 20:29
by Ice
xx
Too late for no dig sweetcorn?

Started by Dimblebee on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2020, 09:41
by Dimblebee

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 38 queries.