Frost

• 8 Replies

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Frost
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:28 »
I have just checked the weather forecast for next week on Metcheck (www.metcheck.com) and whilst the actual temperatures in my area are not going down to freezing the chart says that on a couple of days it will "feel like" -1 or -2 even though the temperature is above 0.
Does a "feel like" temperature of 0 or less count as frost when it comes to plants, or only the actual temperature?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Frost
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:08 »
The soil radiates its captured heat rapidly at night and cold air sinks in calm conditions so an air temperature of around plus 2 or 3 C  can still cause a ground frost.

A strong breeze will stop the cold air accumulating near the ground so 2-3 degrees is less likely to result in a ground frost (but will feel colder to humans due to wind-chill.)

"Frost pockets" are low-lying areas (often valleys) which tend to trap dense cold air and are therefore more prone to frost than higher surrounding areas.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:10 »
Thank you for that - seems like they still need some protection until its gone up above plus 2 or 3 then?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:19 »
Yes, but of course it depends on which plants you are talking about and whether they have been properly hardened off to prepare them for life in the great wide world outside!

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:58 »
I am mostly thinking about my potatoes here = they are in containers and I have earthed them up so many times that the soil is now at the top of the container and I have no more room to put any more. Was hoping that I could get away with not adding any more soil but think I might have to put an "extension" around the side of the pots so that I can earth them up a bit more. Most of the other stuff will not be going outside for another week and those that do I can probably get away with putting a cut off plastic bottle over the top to protect them a bit.

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 12:12 »
Wouldn't fleece be enough to protect the leaves from frost now?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 12:18 »
fleece is fine, depends how many potatoes you planted......whether it's a viable option, though.
Great for tubs or the odd row  :lol:

You can also lay down newspaper, weighed down with a few stones and removed in the morning, if you have nothing else handy :)

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 17:42 »
I will have to give up earthing them up because I have just got home and checked them and the shoots are poking through very confidently. Don't have any fleece, but do have some old dog blankets so they will have to do!

catllar

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 18:21 »
We've temperatures going from the sublime to the ridiculous - last week it didn't get above 16 and today it's 30+. Overnights are around 18 now so I've moved some babies outside and hope for the best   - the windowsill was getting ridiculously overcrowded with the 100+ baby canna plants that germinated from a handfull of seed given me by a friend in the Azores.  There are only so many cannas a garden needs so I'm giving them away right and left.

xx
Frost

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2015, 09:34
by mdjlucan
xx
Frost

Started by Beejay on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 20:53
by gobs
xx
Frost

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2020, 10:56
by Yorkie
xx
Frost watch

Started by Dantheman on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2014, 20:48
by Dantheman

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 38 queries.