something has dug up my seed potatoes.....any ideas?

• 5 Replies

AmandaB

Hi there!

I'm new to this site and haven't posted before.  I have an allotment on a new site that was opened this year. We've spent the last few months digging beds and adding manure to the heavy clay soil on this site.  Everything has been going really well, but when I went to visit and water my seed potatoes (not yet sprouted above soil) I noticed about 5 or 6 just sitting on the soil surface as if they had been dug up.  I had a look for teeth marks in case that gave me a clue as to the culprit (I was thinking along the lines of a rodent, perhaps?) but all the potatoes appear unblemished.

Has anybody else ever experienced this? Any ideas as to what could have happened?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you may have.   :)

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
Re: something has dug up my seed potatoes.....any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:42 »
I'd have said rabbits but I had a rabbit hole dug under one of my potato rows last year and they didn't touch the actual veg.

Have you made your soil so lovely and crumbly that cats find it irresistable and use as a cat toilet  :ohmy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:02 »
Could be a fox. Did you add blood, fish and bonemeal (irresistible!) or dried chicken manure (pretty tempting!) to the soil when planting?

I seem to have got away with it this year but in the past have had to retrieve intact spuds from up to 20 feet away!

They usually leave a slightly tapered hole where they have been digging.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 14:16 »

Have you made your soil so lovely and crumbly that cats find it irresistable and use as a cat toilet  :ohmy:

I had that problem, now I have three upright 1 litre pop bottles filled with water placed around the potato bed. Seems to do the trick.

I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 20:00 »
I had spuds dug up by a fox last year, it was after the blood., fish and bone as has already been posted.
There were some scratch marks on the potatoes though, so not sure what dug your up. 

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 20:06 »
Good evening Amanda and welcome to the site. You say they LOOK as if they`ve been dug up. have they or haven`t they? If there is no sign of them being dug up then it could be that someone has put them there. :D

xx
avoiding the drought with potatoes ideas please

Started by acwid on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 17:35
by gobs
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
seed potatoes what to look for

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2014, 21:48
by Totty
xx
Why seed potatoes?

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 14:06
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 28 queries.