The Frost!

• 15 Replies

rikknikk

The Frost!
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:35 »
This is probably a silly question but its my 1st year!! I had plants outside last night but in a plastic greenhose and there was a frost, if this had effected my plants would I know straight away in the morning or could they now die over the next few days?

bigben

Re: The Frost!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:38 »
I lost some baby sprouts to frost about a month ago - the looked pretty sorry for themselves fairly quickly within a day I would say.

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 14:34 »
depend on where you live rik. the frost is different in different places.
1. A cue to take from my plot neighbour. I havent seen him since he planted potatoes a month ago. I was bit sorry for him whenever i read about frost in our area and visit my plot to earth up in the evening. But tell you what none of hid potatoes are dying. all happily 2-4 inch tall and proud above the soil.
2. over the weekend I tried to pot my best okras and leave the rest to succumb to the cold. I have been moving potted okras in and out of plastic shelf greenhouse all this week and couple which I left to die in the paper pots are not giving up (well untill last night. I havent had a look this morning though)

bit confused with the frost.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

madcat

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 15:01 »
This is probably a silly question but its my 1st year!! I had plants outside last night but in a plastic greenhose and there was a frost, if this had effected my plants would I know straight away in the morning or could they now die over the next few days?

It was a bit of a ground frost here - maybe a degree below - not good for tender unprotected plants, but most will be okay in a plastic greenhouse. What sort of plants have you got?
Cucumbers, tomatoes and sweetcorn might not like it and check their growth a bit, but most things will be fine.  If they look sad by the end of today, you will know that it was too cold. 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 18:27 »
I've only got two mini greenhouses backing onto the wall of the house.

It hadn't occurred to me that things would not be ok. I thought they'd be protected  ???

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 18:36 »

It hadn't occurred to me that things would not be ok. I thought they'd be protected  ???

If they're backing onto the house they will pick up residue heat from walls etc and should be ok and protected.

I know I'm down south but my mini greenhouses in the garden (backing onto the house)   haven't dropped below 5c for overnight for some time now.
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 19:57 »
I am lucky enough to have a weather station less than 30 paces from plot, and how delighted was I to find it on Wunderground.com.  I get a 15 minute update on conditions 24 hours a day.

The temperature dropped to 0.4C last night and while this didn't produce a hard frost, My tomatoes in the polytunnel look a little floppy.  The tips of some of the leaves have lost all structure.  The max/min thermometer didn't go below 4C inside the tunnel.

Another sharp drop is predicted here tonight, so the fleece is out in force.

Experience tells me that they will suffer a fair bit of damage before they sulk, but how many consecutive nights of below 4C can they suffer?

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 21:39 »
I feel like I'm doing the 'greenhouse hokey cokey' each morning and then at night - you put your seedlings in, your seedlings out, in out in out, I want to plant them out.............!

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 22:32 »
I feel like I'm doing the 'greenhouse hokey cokey' each morning and then at night - you put your seedlings in, your seedlings out, in out in out, I want to plant them out.............!

Just as long as you don't 'Shake them all about' you should be OK

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 22:41 »

well, at least not when the neighbours can see  ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 22:47 »

Keep going with the "in and out"... warmer nights on the way - - - - - eventually ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 23:35 »
I'm hoping that this change of wind direction at the weekend to a Southerly will last a while, night time temps of above 5C so everything is going into the greenhouse whether it likes it or not (where's that fingers crossed smiley?).
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 00:23 »
I'm hoping that this change of wind direction at the weekend to a Southerly will last a while, night time temps of above 5C so everything is going into the greenhouse whether it likes it or not (where's that fingers crossed smiley?).

I agree with you about the weather but  people living around Gatwick and Heathrow might have enjoyed a continued blast from the north and Iceland though... peace and quiet for a few days more before normality returns to the skies.  ::)

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 00:54 »

If they're backing onto the house they will pick up residue heat from walls etc and should be ok and protected.

I know I'm down south but my mini greenhouses in the garden (backing onto the house)   haven't dropped below 5c for overnight for some time now.

-1.7c here last night.it's true we are in for a warm up.but come thursday a quite potent northerly looks to be on the cards.how far south it gets we will have to wait for the 06z run to clarify things a bit.

bigben

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 09:23 »
We have had ground frost in Sheffield for the last two night. I earthed up my spuds (in pots) earlier in the week but of course they keep popping thru and the pots are now full. I noticed this morning that one had been "nipped" by the frost and was looking sorry for itself. I am going to get some fleece before the next lot of frost arrives.

xx
FROST

Started by cawdor2001 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 23:33
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Frost

Started by shedmeister on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2014, 11:02
by brokenglass
xx
Frost

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 11:58
by Christine
xx
First frost

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 08:34
by Becky H

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 38 queries.