Beetroot Seed "clumps"

• 6 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Beetroot Seed "clumps"
« on: April 17, 2010, 09:50 »
Something I've wondered about for a while and never thought to ask ...

I have read often that a Beetroot seed produces 3 or 4 plants.

I sow my beetroot (Boltardy) in small seed trays, carefully placing each seed "cluster" an inch or so apart, and then prick out into individual pots.

I've never seen more than one seedling from a seed.

How come?

Trillium

Re: Beetroot Seed "clumps"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 14:15 »
It's possible the genetics of that variety allows only one inner seed to germinate. Or, perhaps it's general poor luck that at least one germinates. Hard to tell with beets. My Bull's Blood beets always germinate 3-5 per seed clump. Same with Detroit Red.

Mark-S

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 19:55 »
beet are naturally multigerm seeds, however some varieties are treated (rubbed) to become mono-germ.
its nice to be important, but it more important to be nice......

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 20:17 »
You're using technical language, Mark  ???

Would you kindly translate for those of us who aren't soil science and agronomy lecturers?  Ta  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mark-S

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 20:24 »
You're using technical language, Mark  ???

Would you kindly translate for those of us who aren't soil science and agronomy lecturers?  Ta  :D
[/quot each seed cluster contain 3 -5 seeds, the seeds will each develop a shoot and therefore a plant.
some seed is simply rubbed to break the clusters up and haveone viable seed in each 'seed'

other varieties are mono germ by nature ie they only have one seed per 'cluster'

hope that helps

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 20:29 »
The seeds of Boltardy that I have look like other Beet seeds (like a shrivelled up raisin, but smaller) ... dunno if "rubbed" would look different?

Its of no consequence; ,it means I don't have to thin the things, I was just curious having heard of "multi-germ" so often but in all the years I've been growing them I've never seen one ...

Trikidiki

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 22:57 »
Beetroot 'seeds' are usualy actually a cluster of three or four seeds in a corky shell, these are known as multgermed seeds.

If you rub the corky shell between two hard surfaces you can break the clusters up into individual seeds. If you don't do this then several seedlings can germinate at the same spot which are then awkward to thin out. I don't mind thinning beetroot but hate thinning carrots, don't ask me why.

Alternatively you can sow a  monogerm variety which has been bred to prduce individual seeds. I think all beetroot varieties whose name starts with 'M' are monogerm. There are some new F1 mongerm varieties which don't start with an 'M'.

If you don't mind thinning you can use either, if you don't ike thinning go for a monogerm variety.

Page created in 0.63 seconds with 28 queries.