Wilting Brassicas

• 6 Replies

rw3272

Wilting Brassicas
« on: April 17, 2010, 09:42 »
I have some cabbage and romanesco seedlings that were doing really well in 2inch modules on a cool windowledge.  They had got their first true leaves through and I had just nipped out the extra seedlings (sods law!). All of a sudden they seem to be wilting and crumpling up.  The compost has been kept moist (but I dont think too moist).  PSB planted and kept the same is doing really well.  Any ideas as to what is happening?

I have a number of theories:

-Did they get scorched in the last few days of glorious weather
-Should I have added some lime to the compost
-Do they need potting on before now

I think I will try resowing them in the coldframe but any tips are very welcome!

Many thanks for your help,
Rachael

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: Wilting Brassicas
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 10:19 »
I had stuff last year that didnt like being kept inside, it done what you have said above move outside and see what happen's
Thanks
Kris

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 12:19 »
they are too warm, as kris says, try them in the shade somewhere and see if they recover.

How did the pkt tell you to sow them?
as they really don't need to be inside at all ..........

rw3272

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 20:11 »
They were only really inside as protection against slugs, chickens etc etc.  It was a very cool room with the radiators turned off but I do think that you are right and they got overheated.  Will start off some more in the cold frame, plenty of seeds left at any rate!

Thanks for your help guys, you get such a mindset about plants needing good light and forget just how strong the sun can be on a clear day.

Rachael

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 20:54 »
I put my Brasiccas (which are in 3.5" pots) out during the day, bring them in at night. (They probably don't need bringing in , but it stops them getting munched during the night, and I don't have to think which-is-which - everything outside on the terrace gets brought in at night ;)

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:35 »
I have the same problem... I lost a first batch because it was too leggy; learned the lesson and got a second healthy set of plants. Then they started to wilt just like yours. I was advised on the forum that they were probably too hot inside the house; I started a third batch, hardened it off and they've been out for a while: now a few are once again starting to wilt.
I'm starting to despair of ever getting this right. The only plant that seemed to be doing really well, and that was planted out in its final place a couple of weeks ago, has lost the seed leaves and one of the true leaves has started to get pale blotches that are spreading; I expect to lose this one too, and no idea of what to try next.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:55 »
Blimey! that's disheartening. Shouldn't be that hard (with Brassicas ... if it as Cucumbers , which are v.fussy little blights, I could understand ... but Brassicas are normally pretty indestructible - although they are not mad about much heat as seedlings ...)

What sort of Brassicas are we talking about?

Any photos of how they look?

xx
Brassicas wilting and going yellow!

Started by Pimento on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2019, 15:05
by Pimento
xx
Tomatoes wilting :-(

Started by potatopotato on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 12:21
by potatopotato
xx
Wilting Brocolli

Started by Redgoat on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 09:47
by Redgoat
xx
A wilting cucumber

Started by skyelass on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 13:59
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.66 seconds with 32 queries.