Too cool for Toms in the greenhouse?

• 9 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Too cool for Toms in the greenhouse?
« on: April 16, 2010, 23:17 »
As most of you are probably in the same boat, what with plants taking up every available space indoors, i'm wondering about whether to put some tomato plants in the unheated greenhouse in their growbags? Most of my babies are around a foot tall and i'm running out of space!!!  :(

Will they be okay or do i need 10°c plus at night for even a chance of rehoming them....

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Too cool for Toms in the greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 23:19 »
There are about 3 or 4 threads on this subject running at the moment, might be worth browsing the index of this board to see what people have already posted.

I think it's far too cold for toms to go in unheated greenhouse at present.  That is the risk of sowing early.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 23:21 »
mine have been in the cheap zip up green house thing i got from wilkos for about 3 weeks and are doing great.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 23:24 »
There are about 3 or 4 threads on this subject running at the moment, might be worth browsing the index of this board to see what people have already posted.

I think it's far too cold for toms to go in unheated greenhouse at present.  That is the risk of sowing early.

Sorry Yorkie, i always rush in where fools fear to tread and all that! See now Massa has thrown me. I expected an answer like yours but then massa goes and says they are doing great, and in Sheffield too!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 23:35 »
I have one of the mini greenhouses and they probably keep a degree or two warmer than the outside air.  We have had temperatures of 2 or 3 celsius here the last few nights, with the clear skies during the day.  Frosts are not unusual until the end of May - even snow has been known.

Thing is, it's impossible to predict how lucky you will be with the weather each year.  Only you can judge the risk / benefit.

Edit: I see you're in West Kent.  That's a totally different climate from us up here in Yorkshire.  I'd have thought you're more likely to get away with things there - but a decent easterly wind will freeze bits off, surely?!

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 23:53 »
yip too early for up here anyway.
i normaly buy in stock plants 3rd week of april and maintain 55 degrees.
all my maincrop and late crop is derived from suckers of the parent plants.ok no premium priced may tomatoes for sale,but i'm inundated with them right through to october.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 07:02 »

Edit: I see you're in West Kent.  That's a totally different climate from us up here in Yorkshire.  I'd have thought you're more likely to get away with things there - but a decent easterly wind will freeze bits off, surely?!

Even under glass?

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 07:19 »
Mine have been in my unheated greenhouse for 6 weeks now; and all doing well.

Even the overwintered tom from a cutting is just about to flower.

I grow them hard, and harden them off as early as I can - which is the main thing about moving them. If they go from warm to cold then they will die. If they are hardened off properly, they will love it and romp away once the warmer nights come.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 07:45 »
You could put some fleece over them at night that may be enough to protect them in the greenhouse.

I am thinking to put mine into the unheated greenhouse next week.

Like the idea of using the side shoots to propagate new plants ,did it last year for the first time and was surprised at how well it works.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 12:47 »
Before planting them in growbags could you pot them on? Then they can stand in the greenhouse but you could bring them into the corridor for the night if we get frosty nights (assuming your greenhouse isn't up on the allotment!)

xx
growing toms with no greenhouse?

Started by spudtastic on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 03, 2009, 00:28
by Stripey_cat
xx
Toms in an unheated greenhouse?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 01:06
by Lichfield Lass
xx
toms and greenhouse, too early?

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 08:35
by Kristen
xx
Caterpillars on greenhouse toms

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 09:29
by Tattyanne456

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 27 queries.