sick chuck?

• 7 Replies

ruby400

sick chuck?
« on: April 14, 2010, 19:48 »
Hi i introduced new chucks a 10 days ago which lead to a spate of egg eating and reduced laying in the old girls. In this period one of the chucks was standing around all fluffed up looking very uncomfy and eventually laid a soft egg. I have heard egg laying can be affected by the weather - the same chuck is doing this again right now - do others have experience of this> she was absolutely fine after she had laid the soft egg. she doesnt appear to have worms or anything.

are there any good homeopathic remedies for this condition?

thanks

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: sick chuck?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 20:09 »

are there any good homeopathic remedies for this condition?

thanks

If one of my hens were sick I would take her to a proper, fully trained vet.  Thankfully there are members here with a lot more experience of hens than me to help you and offer advice.
Cheese makes everything better.

TeaPots

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 20:12 »
softies really take it out of the hen, as they are hard to lay. Do they have access to oystershell?

ruby400

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 20:25 »
softies really take it out of the hen, as they are hard to lay. Do they have access to oystershell?

I didnt realise that - thats helpful. Yes they have grit and free range. The problem has only occurred since i introduced the new ones and i did wonder if it was an indication she had been upset by this? I figured if they can go off laying in windy weather the introduction of new ones could have an impact..

TeaPots

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 20:39 »
To my knowledge, stress, such as shock, new chooks, moving house etc can cause a hen to stop laying etc, and it is possible for any hen to lay the odd softie when they first start laying. It is a problem that needs addressing tho, as it can lead on to all sorts of probs....the worst being the egg breaking up inside the hen, which leads to massive infection, and is usually fatal. You could try crushing a calcium with ergocalciferol tablet, from the chemist, into their food. (one tablet, once only) to boost calcium levels. Whatch that she eats and drinks ok.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 20:50 »

hi, teapots asked if they had access to oystershell......this is different from the grit that you said they have access to.Oyster shell is for shell quality, grit is to help mush the food up as hens dont have teeth ;).....like TP said, they need oystershell also!

ruby400

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 23:31 »

hi, teapots asked if they had access to oystershell......this is different from the grit that you said they have access to.Oyster shell is for shell quality, grit is to help mush the food up as hens dont have teeth ;).....like TP said, they need oystershell also!

I have given them both oyster shell and grit in the last couple of week - though they have had the same diet for over a year without it which is why I am wondering what the cause maybe.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 07:35 »
any hen can lay the odd softie but if she keeps on laying them then she needs a little bit more calcium probably. Are they getting enough greens? I do believe that greens help with the absorbtion of calcium but you could also just add a little pinch of limestone flour on a half a grape for a couple of days to see if she improves, no need for the others to have this as excess calcium could be bad for them. Keep a close eye on them because if a softie breaks inside her you could have more problems.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Help Sick Chuck (we think)

Started by chuckmad on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 07:51
by kzaba
xx
sick chuck

Started by gcb on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 16:37
by too many girls
xx
Update on sick chuck

Started by lukasmum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 21:49
by lukasmum
xx
Wanda - my sick chuck- update

Started by zoeadh on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2010, 21:00
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.904 seconds with 31 queries.