DavidT

Re: Planting Dahlia Tubers
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 19:44 »
I`d leave it another month to be on the safe side.  :D

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 20:11 »
Ok thanks DavidT. I am a little eager as I have got some dinnerplate size this year and can't wait to see them in bloom. Will an ordinary stake be ok to keep them upright?

Yabba

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 21:00 »
You could put them in a tray in an unheated greenhouse round about now, roughly cover with soil and water them, they'll throw cuttings and you should get 30+ quality cuttings per tuber ready to plant out in late may.

We use 1x1x36 stakes for our dahilas, does the job, but they only need them early in the year. Later on we put (same size) stakes around the edges (every 3 plants or 4'6" ...ish) and use string, very similar to the way dd grows peas.

Tanalised stakes last way longer, worth the extra cash ;)

¥

catllar

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 16:51 »
Yabba,   2 idiot questions: 1)How do you get the cuttings to root and 2)can't you just plant the tubers?? Sorry to sound dense but I've never grown dahlias and was thinking of trying this year - I give up with veges!

Yabba

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 19:02 »
There's no such thing as an idiot question, just stupid answers ;)

1) Wait until they have a few sets of leaves ( 2 or 3 ), then use a scalpel and cut directly below the lowest leaf joint, strip off all the lower leaves, dunk in some rooting powder and slap it in some fine, damp, compost ( we also mix in *edit vermiculite "perlite") and then mist during the day as often as you can, especially if they look droopy. We have automatic misters which makes life a lot easier. It doesn't take them long to get roots and then you can just pot them on into small (3" or 4" pots) and just water like any other plant. Just don't over water them because they hate wet feet.

Next time we take cuttings I'll get some before/after pictures, but this is some of last years so you can get an idea of the size that they are. If you click the pictures they'll take you to a gallery with a few more pics in it :

2) Yep, you can just plant the tubers, you'll get a plant per tuber (I also find they tend to degenerate after their 3rd year of life), but take cuttings and you can get at least 30 decent plants from each tuber ;)

We grow about 2,000 cuttings every year, no way we'd have enough room for 2,000 tubers ;)

¥
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 21:00 by Yabba »

catllar

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 16:58 »
I am humbled, Yabba, 2000??? Thanks for your  reply, I'll have a go minus greenhouse, mister et al, just a windowsill and a plant sprayer!

catllar

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 17:01 »
I've just looked at your thumbnail photos and I guess you don't grow 2000 cuttings just for your front garden ? Looks kind of grand to me!

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 17:53 »
My Dad lives not far from you In Swinton, Newhaven and he has put his in this weekend
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Yabba

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 23:51 »
I am humbled, Yabba, 2000??? Thanks for your  reply, I'll have a go minus greenhouse, mister et al, just a windowsill and a plant sprayer!

Don't be humbled by me, that's my mates space (and hobby), I'm just passing on knowledge I've picked up by helping him.

Pretty sure your windowsill and spraying skills will work well enough ;)

I guess you don't grow 2000 cuttings just for your front garden ? Looks kind of grand to me!

We grow 2,000 cuttings through habit, we used to plant just over half of them ( the extra numbers mean we can select the best ones ), but now it's nearer 700. Good news is, I gained the "obsolete" space to grow food in and The Mighty V (or SHMBO ) gets loads of excess plants to carboot, or give away, or plant, or whatever.

I can't describe the feeling you get when you sit amongst them on a hot summers day ... even if you can't eat them ;)

¥

catllar

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 16:06 »
OK so I'm starting small - Bought 1, yes 1 tuber today and it's planted up as per instructions, so I'll stand ready with my rooting hormone, shall I?? Or perhaps I'll get the vases ready now?

Yabba

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 16:19 »
Tad early for the vases, but you'll be needing the rooting powder shortly ;)

Don't forget you can also plant out the tuber when you've taken enough cuttings.

¥

catllar

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 16:28 »
Brilliant - I'll  hold off on the vase, but I'd better just reserve a stall on the local market, then!

I had a go planting some canna lily seed and I've got over 100 little plants looking hopefully up at me, so it's going to be a competition between them and the dahlias!

Yabba

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 17:16 »
You won't believe how fast dahlias grow. You can see a noticeable difference in a 24 hour period ;)

¥

catllar

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 20:52 »
Hooray, my dahlia tuber has sprouted. I divided the tuber up into several pots (not having one big enough ) and one pot has many shoots, the second pot has the soil beginning to push up, so I suppose  it must be growing, and the third pot is just sitting there. Not having a greenhouse, they have done their thing outdoors, sheltered from the wind and the full sun. Once they get a bit bigger I'll be back here looking at how to take cuttings!!!! Don' think I'll manage 2000 though :unsure:
 P.S My cannas are taking ove the world and I can't give 'em away! (Just don't stand too close, they might lash out) :ohmy:

xx
Dahlia tubers

Started by BARNACLE BILL on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 18:02
by sunshineband
xx
Dahlia's from Tubers

Started by rugbymad40 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2007, 09:12
by David.
xx
Dahlia Tubers

Started by fatbelly on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 16:24
by muckyboots
xx
Dahlia tubers

Started by Stripey_cat on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 04:04
by neil1967

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 28 queries.