Bed sizes to crop ratio?

• 35 Replies

RichardC

• http://www.forums.ilambretta.com/phpBB2/
Bed sizes to crop ratio?
« on: April 11, 2010, 19:14 »
Hi all. Not been on for a long time, but have been busy getting my allotment ready for new season and have also been very busy removing a very large hedge at the front of house.

Removing the hedge has opened up a large area which is not really usable as 'garden' so am giving serious consideration to putting some raised beds in place, which will possibly allow me to give up the allotment and grow 'at home'. I am hoping this will make things easier for me (as I do not have lots of spare time with a full time job and two young children. It should also mean that the whole family can get involved, rather than me toiling alone on the plot (it's a bit basic and no facilities down there so kids don't really like coming).

What I really want to know is would four 8 foot x 5 foot raised beds give enough yield to feed a family of two adults and two small (6 & 4) children. I would not need potatoe beds as they would go into sacks / barrels. Last season I grew quite a large variety of veg, in relatively small amounts and did pretty well and would like to repeat that at home.

What do you all think, would my 'home allotment' be sufficient?

Cheers for any answers and sorry for going on a bit.

Richard
My other Forums Lambretta related

DavidT

Re: Bed sizes to crop ratio?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 19:19 »
Believe it or not, Richard, managed properly, a 10ft x 4ft deep bed should produce enough veg to feed a family of 4 for a year. Get yourself a good book on deep bed growing. :D :D

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 19:36 »
Sorry, DavidT, but I can't believe it. I would like to! 10ft x 4ft would only be large enough for 10 sprout plants. I would love to feed just the two of us on a plot that size.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 19:37 »
10ft x 4ft deep bed should produce enough veg to feed a family of 4 for a year

I would like a book that would show me how to do that David...can you recommend one :)

Last year I had three 12 x 4 and didn't feed myself all year let alone a family, although everything was quite well packed in. I'd like to see what more I could have done. It would make very interesting reading :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 19:49 »
Believe it or not, Richard, managed properly, a 10ft x 4ft deep bed should produce enough veg to feed a family of 4 for a year. Get yourself a good book on deep bed growing. :D :D
I think you would need all the time in the world.  All the luck in the world. The best soil in the world.  The most organised grower in the world.  The most helpful family in the world and with a bit of luck they don't like a lot of veg. :lol:

With the beds you suggest I would think you could provide something home grown the whole year round for your family.   :)
Cheese makes everything better.

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 19:50 »
I am talking DEEP beds, not RAISED beds. 2 completely different things. With deep beds, you cannot grow brassicas for a start. The likes of onions and beans are planted about 4inches apart rather than 8 inches. carrots would be grown about 2" apart rather than 4", parsnips 4" rather than 8". Potatoes are planted as deep as possible about 9" all round. Then there is crop rotation. Having said all that, I`ve gardened using the deep bed method and had to use more than one. :lol: I will try and find the title of the  book I read on the subject. :D

DavidT

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 19:51 »
We think deep beds are something new, but the Chinese have been using this system for 2000 years. :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 19:54 »
The OP is asking about raised beds.  With raised beds you also plant closer together at equal distances apart thus getting more veg per square metre.

DavidT

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 19:58 »
With raised beds the soil depth tends to be the depth of the bed to the original soil surface. With deep beds the depth of soil is to the original soil is dug to a spits depth BEFORE the bed is topped up, so you can plant much closer together.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 20:02 »
With raised beds the soil depth tends to be the depth of the bed to the original soil surface.
That's a generalisation and definately not true of mine.  All mine have been over ground dug over first and nutrients added.  However, we mustn't hijack this thread debating these things.

RichardC

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 20:26 »
Thanks for replys. So far the consensus seems to be (I think) that the beds would be enough for our needs.

I should have added that the reason for raised beds is that as it would be at the front of the house and in view of our neighbours, we would need to have it looking as neat and tidy as possible. Also, quality of soil is not great, so would be best way of providing some good growing environment.

I would be rotivating ground before building and filling beds on top.

Richard

DavidT

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 20:30 »
With raised beds the soil depth tends to be the depth of the bed to the original soil surface.
That's a generalisation and definately not true of mine.  All mine have been over ground dug over first and nutrients added.  However, we mustn't hijack this thread debating these things.

Then you are growing with DEEP BEDS as opposed to raised beds. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 20:32 »

Then you are growing with DEEP BEDS as opposed to raised beds. :lol: :lol: :lol:
::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 20:35 »
So far the consensus seems to be (I think) that the beds would be enough for

I think you have that the wrong way round (sorry but disagreements can be confusing)

We all agree that you could provide something for the family all year round but we disagree  on whether it would be
enough yield to feed a family of two adults and two small (6 & 4) children.
:D :D

RichardC

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 21:54 »
mumofstig - it can get confusing can't it, with so many differant opinons  :D

I may have worded my original post badly  :unsure: I am not seeking to become self sufficient, just ensure that I am not going to be wasting my effort (and money!) doing this if I am only likely to get a few meals worth of each crop.

So I will ask the question slightly differantly .... will four raised beds measuring 8 foot by 5 foot be big enought to yield a worthwhile crop?

Richard  :)

xx
Tom food ratio?

Started by Eatyourgreens on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 09:28
by Eatyourgreens
xx
Best Tomato fruit to foliage ratio.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 08, 2021, 08:39
by jambop
xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
pot sizes

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 23:07
by Kristen

Page created in 0.663 seconds with 30 queries.