planting spuds

• 16 Replies

Trikidiki

Re: planting spuds
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 09:58 »
To get slightly technical:

Plants don't grow towards light per se, they stop growing straight. Sunlight reduces the production of auxins which are the hormones which make the plant tip grow. So one side of the plant has reduced growth the other side more growth so the plant bends towards the light. This is phototropism.

Underground there is obviosly no light so there is no reduction in auxin production so the root tip keeps growing at its fullest rate in a straight line. Here geotropism takes over and causes the plant tip to grow vertically. Once the tip breaks the surface then phototropism is more dominant.

No one has mentioned hydrotropism which causes the roots to grow towards moisture.I knew O-level biology would be useful one day.

boosh

Re: planting spuds
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 11:35 »
To get slightly technical:

Plants don't grow towards light per se, they stop growing straight. Sunlight reduces the production of auxins which are the hormones which make the plant tip grow. So one side of the plant has reduced growth the other side more growth so the plant bends towards the light. This is phototropism.

Underground there is obviosly no light so there is no reduction in auxin production so the root tip keeps growing at its fullest rate in a straight line. Here geotropism takes over and causes the plant tip to grow vertically. Once the tip breaks the surface then phototropism is more dominant.

No one has mentioned hydrotropism which causes the roots to grow towards moisture.I knew O-level biology would be useful one day.
I think that has cleared that up nicely.
would that be the dark side of the moon.
I thought commercial growers did'nt use chitted spuds, I surpose they could always employ someone to follow the machine and put the chits the right way up  :)

xx
spuds planting

Started by goodegg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 17:02
by JayG
xx
Planting after spuds

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 21:01
by gobs
xx
planting spuds

Started by oldsod on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 12:18
by Pompey Spud
xx
Planting Spuds......

Started by kiwinicks on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 10:38
by billathome65

Page created in 0.612 seconds with 28 queries.