flame guns

• 4 Replies

francesd

flame guns
« on: April 07, 2010, 18:06 »
Hi All,

My first post and I'd like to ask about flame guns. I have a large garden in Normandy with a wood. As we have been thinning out the trees the brambles have taken over to the point where I can't possibly keep on top of them.  Has anyone used a flame gun on brambles succesfully?  I know it won't get rid of them first go, but I was hoping that continually firing them would weaken their structure eventually. Its too large an area to use round up etc, even if I wanted to.
Any advice welcome.

Frances

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: flame guns
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 22:18 »
Welcome to the site francesd  :D

I'm guessing that nobody has done what you're suggesting, otherwise you'd have had some answers to your question.

Only you can tell whether burning the brambles will create a fire risk which could get out of control, but I see no reason in principle why it shouldn't work.  It is unlikely to kill off the roots, and I'm not sure how well live shoots will burn, though.

The only thing about flame guns / burning is that it will kill off the soil bacteria, beneficial or otherwise.

Good luck with the project  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 00:51 »
I have a flame gun and have used it on weeds, unfortunately the perrenials will just keep bouncing back and the only thing I use it on now are the annuals when they are small seedlings. Oh and any neighbours kids when they stray into my garden :D.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

pushrod

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:24 »
I'm afraid the only reliable way is too dig them out. One of THESE (a mattock)makes it a lot easier  :)
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 12:14 »
I'm afraid the only reliable way is too dig them out. One of THESE (a mattock)makes it a lot easier  :)

Mattock for the win! Its a good stress buster and you'll even develop some serious
muscle into the bargain!
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

xx
Flame Gun

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 16:27
by BigPaddy
xx
Flame Weeding

Started by Origindol on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 01:29
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.868 seconds with 36 queries.