Standing water

• 13 Replies

Weed

Standing water
« on: April 05, 2010, 22:44 »
Hi folks, I'm not strictly a new user, but due to  a house move and new plot; I haven't been on for a while. I could do with a little help. I have just tamed my new plot, which was fallow for a year plus. Thankfully the growth was mostly grass gone wild, the odd dock and one  or two other weeds, which I dont know the name of but didnt look too feral. The soil is generly good, loam with no real compact areas. However  after all the rain I found that part of my plot is water logged, about 1- 2 meters. Now I know the weather has been poor, but here in coventry its hasn't been that bad. I have currently covered the area, to halt stop direct soaking, should I leave it open to let the air to it? Should this be a constant problem, would raised beds solve the problem? Any other suggestions would be welcome. Cheers.
I've no idea what it is...but its growing!

blackbob

• Experienced Member
Re: Standing water
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 23:18 »
Hi folks, I'm not strictly a new user, but due to  a house move and new plot; I haven't been on for a while. I could do with a little help. I have just tamed my new plot, which was fallow for a year plus. Thankfully the growth was mostly grass gone wild, the odd dock and one  or two other weeds, which I dont know the name of but didnt look too feral. The soil is generly good, loam with no real compact areas. However  after all the rain I found that part of my plot is water logged, about 1- 2 meters. Now I know the weather has been poor, but here in coventry its hasn't been that bad. I have currently covered the area, to halt stop direct soaking, should I leave it open to let the air to it? Should this be a constant problem, would raised beds solve the problem? Any other suggestions would be welcome. Cheers.

dig yaself a soakaway below the growing level.4ft wide the length of the problem area should do it.simple trench filled with hardcore and topped off with 2ft of soil

ps dig the trench as deep as you can get it.

Weed

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:09 »
didn't think of that. Cheers blackbob.

rock_chick

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:32 »
Sounds like you may have compaction causing a hardpan, thus impeding drainage of water. It will also restrict the growth of plant roots. The best thing to do is dig the area over, as deeply as you can to reduce compaction and improve the soil structure of your plot.
http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden.

Weed

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 11:55 »
Hi rock chick. I have dug the area over, the soil seemed to be in good condition before all the rain.not too much clay or sand etc.  There didn't seem to be to much compaction.which is why i was stumped over the standing water. No harm to dig over again though. :D Thanks for the help. 

diggerjoe

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:11 »
Hi Weed,  You would be amazed how much rain Coventry has had recently. Talking to a amatuer weather guru and we had 21mm in four hours last Saturday.  I knew it would be soggy on the plot as I cross a bridge over a river to get there and the river was up 6ft and over the footpaths. I planted some potatoes on Sunday and 6 ins down it was water and my soil is well dug over - so this year earlies are not as planted as deep. The corner of my plot is under water and its the bit where I dug a sump drain that worked brilliantly last year and behind this on neighbours plot his corner is 6 ins under water. If the rain ever stops it should dry out a bit - but a sump drain or soakaway is worth the effort - I just need to see what's gone wrong with mine :unsure: what are other plots like on your site?

Weed

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 09:42 »
hi digger. I didn't realise we had that much rain, i was stuck in an office all day. Maybe then i am worrying unnecessarily then. Though i have been told that some of the plots used have wells, so maybe the water level is high anyway. The plots are all hedged in, so its difficult to have a good nose about. I'm not long on the site to know its  flooding history. The drain option seems the way forward. Did you run your drain into the ditch, or just as a sink.

diggerjoe

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 19:00 »
Hi Weed - dug a 2ft x 2ft hole that was 3ft deep and back filled with some of the million and one stones off the plot I then surropunded it with a few brocks and put mesh on top then put one of those square builders bags tyhat have sand in them over it and used that as somewhere to compost the nasties i did not want in my regular heap. and for good measure moved half my rhubarb plant from the top of the plot. Last year worked really well. I think I need to dig another , being on a slope does not help as it all drains the bottom end and the soil there is tasks longer to dry out  so its for beans again this year. After a dry spell you'll be cursing that you have to water things :D

DavidT

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 19:37 »
Easiest thing would be to turn it into a bog garden. A lot less work than digging a trench. :lol: :D

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 21:21 »
yip plant the wet area up with some Gunnera Gigantica.they'll soon suck the area dry lol.

Weed

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 22:35 »
cheers digger, and should that fail I could have some first class peat compost  in the future :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 00:43 »
If it's only a small part of the plot and the rest appears ok I thnk I'd plant up the rest during the season and wait and see what happens in the now water-logged part.

Perhaps it's a rare thing..... if not I'd imagine others on the plot experience the same - chat to them and get some local advice.

Sumps are great unless the ground water level is already high then, in that case, your sump is likely to be fairly full already so wont aid quicker drainage of water logged soil.

Who knows you may have the ideal spot for a tiny pond - great for attracting the things that enjoy eating  the things you'd be keen to see the back of  ;) slugs and insect pests are quickly cleared by a pond full of hungry frogs  ;)

Just a thought  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Weed

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 10:03 »
thanks learner. I know that the area did had wells sunk in the past before water pipes, so it may be that the water table is naturaly high any. There was a bathtub of all things left on the plot, so if all else fails, it could become part of the pond! 

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 14:42 »
A bath tub sunk into the ground sounds a good idea... it will make sure there's always some water for anything that moves into it... when the ground is very wet it will centre upon the bath-tub-pond... ideal for frogs! They'll help keep the pests down  ;)

Word of caution: If there are rats in the area - take care not to put your hands into the water if you have any cuts or nicks - Weil's Disease may be a risk...  :tongue2:

xx
Standing water on allotment.

Started by tom/barbara on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 14:55
by tom/barbara
xx
onion leaves not standing up

Started by lottiegirl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 19:52
by AnneB
xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
WATER shortage - tips for saving / harvesting water please

Started by Cr78 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 18:52
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.758 seconds with 29 queries.