Bindweed for beginners

• 9 Replies

sweet potato

Bindweed for beginners
« on: April 05, 2010, 13:55 »
I am lucky enough to have recently aquired a half allotment in North Yorkshire with 3 friends.  We have spent the last 3 weeks digging out weeds, but are a bit confused about what to do about bindweed. 

The main plot seems fine, but the far end is a mess.  The previous allotment holder had a selection of compost bins here.  Unfortunately they all seem rather over run with bindweed.  Some of the compost bins look full of nice compost, but bindweed seems to have grown up through the bases of the bins, so we have a composty-bindweedy mixture.  There is also a pile of nicely rotted manure, that has bindweed root mixed in.  We have been slowly pulling out all the bindweed (and taking it to the tip), and are left with a nice pile of seemingly bindweed free compost and manure. 

What I wanted to ask was whether it would be risky to spread this over the plot - is bindweed likely to regrow from the tiny little thready bits, or just from the fat white wormy bits?

We were planning to put our new compost bins at this end of the plot too.  However I am now worried that the bindweed will just grow up through them.  I was thinking of trying to dig out as much as possible, then cover with a weed-proof membrane, and put the new compost bins on top of that.

Any advice would really be appreciated, thanks.

paintedlady

Re: Bindweed for beginners
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 15:48 »
Unfortunately they all seem rather over run with bindweed.

We were planning to put our new compost bins at this end of the plot too.  However I am now worried that the bindweed will just grow up through them.  I was thinking of trying to dig out as much as possible, then cover with a weed-proof membrane, and put the new compost bins on top of that.

ah, bindweed ... you think you've got it all dug out and come summer it'll be back again  :mad:  I've had my half plot for over 5 years and I'm still digging the roots out!  The good news is that every year on there is a lot less than the year before  ;)

Might I recommend you do not put the new compost bins where the bindweed was found.  Perhaps locate them temporarily elsewhere until you can be totally sure no more bindweed emerges in that area and try again next year?  The weedproof membrane only delays but does not eradicate bindweed so easily - you cannot believe how hardy it is nor just how much it grows underground/along the soil surface to reach light elsewhere.  And yes, even the tiniest or scraggy dead looking root is still a viable bindweed root just waiting for an opportunity to grow.

As for the rescued compost/manure - unless you are absolutely confident it is bindweed free, I personally might hesitate to use it just yet rather than risk spreading it around.  But then I think I've just got a bit over-cautious these days  ::) so .... it's up to you.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 15:57 »
the least bit of root will re-emerge with avengence.bind weed likes to climb so i'd put some mesh structure close to the problem area.let it clamber up this,so it gets a good covering.then get a 6ft bamboo cane and beat the living daylights out of it (so as to injure the waxy outer tissue).
spray it with GALLUP (glyphosate) 20-1 mix.may need doing mrte than once but it does work.

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 15:59 »
bind weed is that related to morning glory?

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 16:36 »
Bindweed is a real pain >:( I've had to put up with it for 40yrs I've sprayed it dug it out the ground and still it comes back but not in great perfusion i know you can spray it but i have never used GALLUP but it mite be worth giving it a go i did seek some professional advise on how to get shut of it but i was informed there was a spray that could used but only if one had the correct spray licence that would need to be produced on purchase you only need to leave one small bit in the ground and it grows and grows if you intend to spread any compost that you think may have bindweed in it i would be advise you to riddle it just to be on the safe side
it a b...dy pain :mad but there are some useful tips also mentioned that mite be worth considering hope this is of some help :)

sweet potato

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 18:41 »
 Thanks everyone for your replies.  Hopefully we'll avoid becoming over-run with the stuff.
 :)

DavidT

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 19:18 »
Using the two prong attack of Glyphosate and digging will eventually get rid of it. :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 19:33 »
If you pull out every tiny green bind weed bit as it rears it's head above the ground then you will win -- takes time and perseverance. If you get it quick it usually pulls straight out -- then burn it!

Glyphosate does work too but I am always loathe to let it grow enough to treat  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 19:51 »
if its in the compost bin area it will probably find its way into the beds too ...

Given that you have probably left the odd bit in the beds, and maybe the odd bit in the compost / manure, I'd not worry.  Use the Manure / Compost - it will give huge benefit - and just wage war on the bindweed when it comes up.

A saying I learnt on this forum is "never let it see a Sunday" - chopping its head off whenever you can - will weaken it and prevent it getting a hold.

Glyphosate based weed killers will help (once it is in strong growth), but if you have an actively planted veg plot you will be weeding to get rid of this-and-that, and that should keep the  bindweed under control too.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 19:54 »
My thoughts exactly  :D :D

Love that phrase never let it see a Sunday  :lol:

xx
BEGINNERS (and 'old' hands!)

Started by Oliver on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2006, 10:50
by John
xx
Strawberries for beginners.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 21:33
by starry
xx
Enthusiastic Beginners!!

Started by Nigeyboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2006, 16:14
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Cauliflower... why is it not a beginners veg?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 19:36
by Frog

Page created in 0.626 seconds with 27 queries.