looking for answers?!!

• 4 Replies

stormyskye

looking for answers?!!
« on: March 31, 2010, 20:02 »
hi, this is my first time doing this , hope i get it right. im looking for advice for two of my hens. they are white hens of mixed origin, about a year and a half old, amazing layers!! they didnt even slow down in winter let alone stop!they are both bald of feathers on their back, and i think their eggs shells seem alot weaker, they are fed layers pellets, mixed corn and loads of fresh scraps. do they need a supplement?a rest? or i is it mites or maybe they are just the roosters favourite pair ( only 1 rooster)ps they are also free to roam but no grass in area they are in.ps they seem ok in themselves thanks  to any one who can help and does not find this confusing :blink:

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: looking for answers?!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 20:08 »
Well, can't help with the chooks, but welcome to the site! There is plenty of experience to draw on here.

janette

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 20:16 »
try a bit of oyster shell to help with the shells I gave mine a tray of ash with some mite powder in to help solve that problem it seems to have worked as it's a bit early for natural moult fantastic with your eggs though

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:03 »
You might need to cut back on the corn and the scraps. Like kids (and me) they'll eat the food which is tasty but not nutritious first. Supplements like chicken spice I use and add a little calcium flour to the pellets. They have a tray of mixed grit and oyster shells and they do take from it, especially if they've eaten corn. Ocassionally I put cider apple vinegar in the water. It's probably worth treating them all with mite powder and treating the coop at the same time then have a regular dust day. The powder won't hurt them, but they may give you some dirty looks as they shake it out! Best of luck.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:46 »
How many hens do you have? It could be the rooster :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
I need answers

Started by chickerun on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 08:57
by poultrygeist
xx
Devastated Chicken Mum would like answers

Started by Nellies on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 23:18
by Brushcutter
xx
how to control rats???? answers please

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 21:40
by wooley1000

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 27 queries.