OMG I think I have killed her!

• 9 Replies

Nickchick

OMG I think I have killed her!
« on: March 30, 2010, 18:22 »
Right  - where to start :blink:  We have had trouble with our two ex-batts eating their eggs >:(  We haven't had an egg for ages now.  I bought a couple of rubber eggs to try and stop them but it hasn't worked.  Yesterday when I came home for lunch I checked the nest box and again 2 eaten eggs :mad:  I went to the cupboard and got out french mustard, english mustard powder and cayenne pepper and mixed it up and added water to enable me to inject it into blown eggs.  I placed one in the nest box.  It was still intact this morning. 

Anyway, my OH came home at 4.30 today and gave both chucks some corn and they were both fine.  I came home at 5pm and checked them.  The mustard egg had been eaten and one of the chucks who was fine 1/2 an hour earlier was huddled at the back of the run and then promptly took herself off to bed :(

Has my mixture of mustard and cayenne done her some real damage?  Will she recover or have I poisoned her :unsure:

The mustard egg was my only option as set up not suitable for 'roll away nest boxes'

Any advise greatly appreciated :)

karlooben

Re: OMG I think I have killed her!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 18:35 »
umm u may very well of made her ill , the best thing to do is make sure she gets plenty of water and try an wash it out of her  the mustard on its own would of done just as well , if she doesnt pick up then i suggest a trip to the vet . some birds do eat the eggs its annying but its just one of those things that u have to put up with mine ate the eggs and i have tried all methods of nest boxes , i did manage to make my own roll away boxes but i have takn them away an now i get maybe 1 or 2 broken eggs a month .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 18:53 »
Wouldnt have thought you would have killed her, but she will be feeling quite ill. Just make sure you collect the eggs pronto, leave the rubber eggs or ceramic eggs, and make sure you leave water with the hen tonight.....i wouldnt like to be poop picking in your coop tomorrow ;)

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 15:18 »
Hi

I was wondering as you don't say anything in your post, but are you sure it's the hens eating their eggs and not rats (yuk)... or crows...

Hope your chook is OK now

Sarah :-)
Mad chicken woman

hendreary

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 16:45 »
So how is she today?
Geoff Davis. :)

Nickchick

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 20:11 »
She's alive :D :D :D :D  When I got up this morning she was back to her normal perky self (thank goodness). 

In reply to Sarah I am sure it is her who is eating the eggs as she has really yellow nostrils and eggy feet :nowink:

Nichola x

PS I am not going to give them any more mustard/cayenne eggs - instead I am going to feed them to the OH mmwaahhhh :closedeyes:

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 21:36 »
gees what a greedy devil, must have a fancy for spicy food!mine wont even eat carrots thank god shes well :tongue2: youd think even a mouthfull would set the mouth burning :nowink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 21:38 »
I believe chickens can't taste hot or spicy things.  That's why she scoffed the mustard and chilly  :(

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 22:00 »
I tried this many years ago with egg eating pheasants, it didn`t work , they thought curry night was a special treat. :)

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 06:12 »
I tried this many years ago with egg eating pheasants, it didn`t work , they thought curry night was a special treat. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:isnt that what some humans think as well .

xx
what killed my chickens

Started by Ian Findlay on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 15:40
by Mrs.Apron
xx
What killed my 3 girls !!!

Started by Chappers on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 13:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
Chick Killed!!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 22:37
by pushrod
xx
A Yob came onto my allotment and killed all my chooks

Started by kizza on The Hen House

37 Replies
Last post February 21, 2008, 14:07
by ToHellWithWeeds!

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 28 queries.