Help a newbie please!!

• 9 Replies

mumvplus 3

Help a newbie please!!
« on: March 26, 2010, 21:05 »
Hi everyone, just got our allotment and need some advice please! Its quite a large allotment and overgrown, did try to clear myself but with a 2 year old,3 year old and 9 month old baby i've been struggling so decided to have it rotovated. I have started some veg under glass ready for planting out but didnt know how best to prepare soil as I appreciate its quite late in season for preparing beds. Should I did in some well rotted manure over it all? as i;ve read this is'nt best for carrots. Any advice really appreciated.
Thanks again

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Re: Help a newbie please!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 23:05 »
hiya

firstoff - have you got a full plot - ie 10 rods in size?

Is it in 3 strips?  If so consider covering at least one strip for 1 season - this gets rid of weeds and cuts down the area you need to cultivate.

Start off doing small bits first, it can become daunting to try to take it all on as a newbie
Death OR Cake ???

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:43 »
I've seen some people take on overgrown plots much later than now and be successful so it can be done with a lot of hard work but I appreciate the task you have on your hands with such a young family.  However, I would agree with cooperman - cover what you can't manage this year, and doing small bits at a time rather than see a whole plot that needs to be cultivated in one go - I see too many newbies take on a plot and give up shortly afterwards because it all looks like too much work.  I've had my big plot for 3 growing seasons of which I had covered 3/4 of it with black plastic sheeting or large sheets of cardboard, and dug beds as I went along and now have just one last bit to do this year  :D  The squash bed was left covered and I cut holes through the plastic and filled the planting holes with manure/compost so I could still make use of the space that I didn't have time to dig over - something else you might want to consider in the short term  ;) 

The bits you do clear, keep on top of the weeding from day one - the seeds brought to the surface during digging will appreciate the cleared ground and germinate as well as grow at an alarming rate, but if you catch them early, there are fewer later on in the year and of course they won't have grown to the flowering/seed stage to shed more seeds.  Do be warned as you turn the soil over again for next year's season, some seeds can survive for many years so a fresh crop are exposed each time you dig over, not to mention windborne seeds like dandelion but you'll soon get the hang of it by then  :)

Re:  manure - it goes without saying that it does wonders for soil improvement and I'd say most crops do very well.  Even carrots & parsnips ... but the higher nitrogen levels encourage their roots to fork (fang) so don't resemble perfect supermarket specimens and can be difficult to prepare for cooking if there are loads of roots which have intertwined which is one of the reasons you are advised not to dig in manure for these particular crops. 
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 14:03 »
One very valuable tip in this case is to teach the young ones asap the difference between a weed and a crop or you could end up with a lot less than planned  :D

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 19:27 »
Hi there, I'm new too, to the allotment lark. I've got a 2 and a half year old and a 10 month old baby, so it's possible to do! I've had my plot since January and have just been working on it as much as I can and too have been covering areas to save for next year. I think the squash tip is really good and I think i will plant some through the black plastic. You could semi weed an area and plant potatoes as they grow quickly and hopefully will outgrow the weeds and suppress them. They are supposed to help the soil break down too. I've found taking some things for the kids there helps keep them happy and occupied when you're trying to actually get some work done! There are some lovely ideas in books for things to do, next year I will try and get a willow tunnel for the kids to play in, you could also cover a walkway with runner beans, like an arch. Making a sandpit out of old tyres is a good plan too. Good luck :tongue2:, I'd be interested to know how you get on:)

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 19:29 »
P.S I'm not sure what that emoticon is, I meant to have a cheeky face!

nobby90

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 19:47 »
I personaly would not Rotavate an over grown plot.  It can give you more problems that it solves with weeds.  It will cut up roots of perenial weeds.  Each little peace of root will grow into a new plant.

Just do a little bit at a time, dont worry if you only use a part of it this year.  Like others have said cut down anything above ground and cover.

Our plot had not been used for 10years when we got it.  It took about 4 years to get how we wanted it.

Good luck and dont give up

mumvplus 3

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 20:21 »
Hi everyone thank you all so much for taking the time to read and help me! I'll use all of your suggestions and keep you posted to how it all goes!! If anybody has any other words of wisdom please feel free to enlighten me!

janette

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 20:44 »
an old tent for the children to play in would give them protection from sun and wind while you are working it would be great fun for them .

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 20:50 »
I agree with the no-rotavate plan.
Just do a little bit at a time and cultivate the bits that you have dug properly (keeping those bits up to scratch as you go along)
You'll end up with a better plot in the long run, manure as you go keeping a bit unmanured this yr for parsnips & carrots (which will get manured next year as you crop rotate).
Cover as much of it as you don't think you'll dig this year to suppress weeds and gradually work through it - that's what I did.

Above all - remember it's not a race :) Enjoy yourself and good luck!
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

xx
newbie here,hi!

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 31, 2006, 19:22
by John
xx
Newbie needs help!

Started by kea24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 18:12
by Yorkie
xx

Started by oldh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 20:55
by operabunny
xx
newbie here

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 20:29
by rictic

Page created in 0.883 seconds with 31 queries.