Planting out!

• 4 Replies

pinkdaisychain

Planting out!
« on: March 21, 2010, 17:15 »
hello

Today we planted our spinach and little gem seedlings into large containers, do you think they will be ok to stay outside all the time now (except for frosty nights) or would you bring them in at night for a few weeks until they get used to it?

Also we bought some strawberry plants today and planted them into a large container, however when we were planting them we realised it said on the label that they should be planted in peat free compost and we only have peat based compost!! Do you think they will be ok in peat based compost because I don't want to use a soil based one as it is quite heavy and we are putting our containers onto our balcony?

Very exciting, feel like a proper gardener today!

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: Planting out!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 17:21 »
Your supposed to harden off seedlings due to the change of temp at night, i didn't last year but it was later in the spring i started to put stuff out.  You still got time to take a chance and see how they get on.
Thanks
Kris

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 18:24 »
My guess would be that it's still too early to be out with no protection for a few weeks yet.

But.... probably too many factors for anyone to be able to give you a definitive yes or no (i.e., your exact location in Leeds, whether you face North/South/East or West, whether your balcony gets prevailing winds, how much heat loss from your house warms the balcony etc etc). But I think the best way to learn is by making mistakes, as long as you don't get disheartened. So no harm in seeing how they get on - if they fail, you'd just need to re-sow.

But you could easily try covering at night with an improvised cloche - one of those semi-opaque plastic milk bottles would do the trick.

With regards to what you've planted your strawbs - am sure they'll be ok. Following planting instructions to the letter may give you the very best possible results, but not following instructions usually kinda works....

You might need to keep an eye on the weight though - even though you have used peat. Still gets very heavy when full of water.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 18:36 »
Far too early to let spinach and lettuce out alone at nights, one good frost might be fatal  :wacko:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 18:55 »
Far too early to let spinach and lettuce out alone at nights, one good frost might be fatal  :wacko:

so you can either bring them in at night, or cover them as others have suggested.

Not long before they can stay out all on their own  :D :D

Sounds like you've made a good start Daisy  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Planting in between.

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 16:59
by Nobbie
xx
Planting Now?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 09:28
by mad mark
xx
Planting now ?

Started by Aitch on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 14:53
by JayG
xx
under planting

Started by flutemaster on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 14:16
by flutemaster

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 27 queries.