Strange behaviour - is it a problem?

• 19 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Re: Strange behaviour - is it a problem?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 20:45 »
Just been reading all your posts, I hope your girlie feels better soon bless her. Keep us posted on how shes doing. x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 21:09 »
fingers crossed for you and her x
Staffies are softer than you think.

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 09:21 »
Been out twice this morning to check on her - she was gaping when I let them out of the coop - but it seemed to subside a little after she'd had a drink.
Went down just now, and I had to look carefully to distinguish her from her sisters....

That can only be good news! I took them some porridge/yoghurt/grated apple and honey mix - she didn't tuck in with the same relish as the rest of the flock, but I did see her eat something. I didn't see her gape or squawk once while I was there (probably about 15 minutes) - then the heavens opened - so I left them to it before my wellies filled up!

I think she's perking up...but I've been fooled before! :tongue2:

Has anyone else had experience of gapeworm - how long before they stop the gaping??
Poor girlie sounds like she has laryngitis now!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 10:22 »
When i was new, (and stupid) to chucks i bought 2 young 'girls' without taking advice from those who know better....i ended up with a cockerel and a hen with gape worm :wacko: I took my hen straight to the vet when i realised she had gape (2days after we got her). He gave her an injection of ivermectin(i think) then she was given flubenvet in her food. She took a few days before she perked up a bit, and the first day i had to coat damp meal worms in it for her to take it. She did recover though, and within the 7 days she had fully recovered. Gape can damage the airways, maybe she has lesions there that are annoying her?? dont know ???. If she is no better by monday , i would take her back :( keep us informed :)

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 14:20 »
just back from Dog Training, and went straight out to check on the flock.

My poorly bantam *looks* almost back to normal - was very keen to eat the corn I gave them, she didn't gape or squawk once, and was quite happily mooching and scratching about with the others :tongue2:

Whatever the vet gave her last night seems to have done the trick!! I am SO relieved to see her eating again and not looking distressed.

I am also VERY relieved to say that none of my other 9 girlies and 1 cock seem to be showing any signs of gapeworm. The are on day 3 flubenvet as a precaution tho.
 :D :D :D :D

xx
Strange behaviour?

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 11:10
by 8doubles
xx
Strange hen behaviour?

Started by compostqueen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 09:52
by compostqueen
xx
Strange Behaviour

Started by Draindragon on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 09:57
by SamT
xx
Hen - strange behaviour

Started by Bess on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 08:34
by mintymoos

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 37 queries.