Really Worried - woodchip

• 5 Replies

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
Really Worried - woodchip
« on: March 18, 2010, 13:58 »
I put down a new layer of woodchip yesterday, which I know contains eucalyptus but I'm not sure what else.

The hens seemed fine with it yesterday, but today they won't go on it much at all. One hen is happy digging through it, but the others are very subdued and won't go out of the run into the garden where the new woodchip is.

They all ate some rather old sunflower seeds yesterday too ... but it wasn't mouldy or anything.

Have I poisoned them?

I will get out there and take off the new chippings, but I may not manage it all today - it half killed me putting it all down yesterday!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Really Worried - woodchip
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 14:14 »
Hi Beulah, I have just checked a few sites and there seems to be some confusion about eucalyptus - it's about a 50-50 split as to whether it is toxic to birds or not (and only toxic when dried), sorry can't be more help than that I'm afraid.
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 14:31 »
Hi, ive done what Joy has done and googled it.There are some posts on the omlet site where some of their members have used it with any ill effects!
Maybe its because its new, mine go mad if there is anything strange or new, or maybe its a bit sharp on their feet?.. not much help i know, but i cant imagine any fumes from woodchip to be harmfull out in the open air. :)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 15:03 »
I've scrapped off a section of their garden, and put some corn down ... they're not ill! At least judging by their reaction to the corn. We had five eggs as usual this morning, too.

Also, it's raining ... it's been dry and sunny for quite a while now, was drizzling this morning and is now pouring down. Would the change in weather upset them so much?

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 15:37 »
Rain makes some of mine miserable :(

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 15:31 »
I've come to the conclusion that it's merely been a co-incidence ... the arrival of the woodchip and the rain ... it's been raining now for the best part of three days, and for most of that time they've been holed up under the ark/Cube but from time to time they emerge to go fossicking about in the Hen Garden (where the woodchip is) - they seem more comfortable on it now it's wet!

Panic over!  :D

xx
woodchip

Started by TINTIN on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 20:46
by richyrich7
xx
matting beneath woodchip

Started by louiseb22 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 17:53
by Helenaj
xx
Conifer woodchip - is it safe?

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2010, 22:03
by mjd
xx
Woodchip/shavings question.

Started by Rubellite on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 17:16
by Fifitrix

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 37 queries.