Allotment/Garden Prep.

• 13 Replies

ineedhelp

Allotment/Garden Prep.
« on: March 16, 2010, 20:06 »
I'm hoping someone could help me. I've decided that I would like to start growing my own fruit and veg, the only thing is I'm not sure if my garden soil is suitable. Does anyone know what I need to do to prepare the soil. I read on another website that you cannot grow fruit and veg if there is grass (which I have), is this true and if so what do I need to do to make it right.

I really would be greatful for any advice.....

ineedhelp. x

DavidT

Re: Allotment/Garden Prep.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 20:09 »
Good evening and welcome to the site. Dig the garden over removing any grass and weeds. Then, you can grow things. :D

digalotty

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 20:13 »
just take off the turf and dig over the ground and then you will be planting
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 20:15 »
You can have grass growing next to your veg patch, just not in the middle of it because the grass will grow faster than your veg and over run it :)

ineedhelp

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 20:48 »
Thanks for such a quick reply. Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend.  :)
Another thing, I hope you don't mind me asking is when sowing seeds do I put all the seeds into one pot, or is it literally one seed (as small as they are) into individual pots.

I am completely new to this and would prefer to get all advice possible from other experienced people as opposed to a book.

Thanks. x

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 20:54 »
Thanks for such a quick reply. Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend.  :)
Another thing, I hope you don't mind me asking is when sowing seeds do I put all the seeds into one pot, or is it literally one seed (as small as they are) into individual pots.

I am completely new to this and would prefer to get all advice possible from other experienced people as opposed to a book.

Thanks. x

It depends a lot on what you want to grow. Some seeds you sow, and once germinated they have to be  " pricked out " into other trays or pots. The likes of runner neans only need 1 seed per 3" pot. Other seed, like carrots and parsnips need to be sown straight into the ground. :D

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 20:55 »
Hi ineedhelp and welcome to the forum!  I had lots of grass, although the couch variety, on my plot.  I skimmed the top off and lifted weeds and roots through digging and successfully grew veg after doing this.

Regarding planting seeds it depends on what you are planting.  For example courgettes will be fine in a 3" pot to start with but you might sow other veg in a seed tray or modules although this means more pricking out.  Last year I planted all my seeds in a seed tray and then pricked out to 3" pots which was a painstaking process!  This year I am trying to skip a stage and have planted in seed tray modules, kind of like mini pots but in a tray.  I will then pot on to 3" when needed but without the pricking out bit!

Good luck and let us know what seeds you are thinking of sowing as this may help our advice.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 20:57 »
Some seeds are sown direct into the ground as they don't like to be moved(transplanted) form pots. Carrots are one example. Some seeds would be sown individually in a small pot and some you can put a number in at the same time. It is very unlikely that you would sow the whole packet- they can contain hundreds of seeds.
If you tell us what you want to grow you will get more specific advice about the individual needs of each.

ineedhelp

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 21:15 »
I'm starting with onions, tomato and radish - will I have to sow seeds individually for these three. It's lucky you told me that I shouldn't do the whole packet in one go otherwise I would have ended up with a great mess.

Thanks. x

Trikidiki

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 22:56 »
Too late for onions from seed but don't despair. Nip down the garden centre and buy a bag of onion sets (baby onion bulbs). Plant them about six inches between bulbs in rows about 9-12 inches apart.

Tomatoes. Sow about a dozen seeds on the surface of compost in a 3 inch pot then cover with about 1/4 inch of fine compost. When they germinate there will be two long leaves wait until the next set of leaves appear then gently tease them from the compost and plant individually into 3 inch pots (pricking out). When the plants are well established and frosts are over plant out in the grond or in growbags or large pots. Ask again then for what to do next.

Radish. Sow in small rows very roughly 1/4 inch apart and about 1/4 inch deep. When they germinate remove seedlings until those left are about 2 inch apart. Throw the others away. Don't sow too many at a time but plant anoher small row about a week later and so on throughout the season.

Anything else you fancy.

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 01:44 »
It's not too late for onions from seeds but you won't be growing show winners :D... Try Long Red Florence... it's a multipurpose type, sow 6-8 seeds per module in a 24-drop module tray, harden them off and plant out at the end of April.... pull a few each station as spring onions, once they bulb up use the bigger ones like big shallots and pickle the smaller ones..... see my other.

chrisc 

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 10:22 »
can we still do that thing where you turn over the turves of grass and put them upside down in the bottom of the trench?  or is that no longer recommended?

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 10:35 »
Turn it upside  in the bottom  is still a good method. I did that and had hardly any regrowth and two years later good quality soil. I had not however been using any chemical sprays on the grass, don't know if that would make any significant difference.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 17:04 »
Too late for onions from seed ...
Do you think? My Onion seed packets say to sow in March or March/April even. I did do mine a while ago though ...

xx
Garden Prep.

Started by ineedhelp on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 22:40
by ineedhelp
xx
chat.allotment-garden.org

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 12:31
by Goosegirl
xx
Why is my allotment getting blight but not my garden ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 21:09
by NASH
xx
Prep for Garlic.

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 03:13
by Trillium

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 28 queries.