Planting Blueberries

• 12 Replies

JohnB47

Planting Blueberries
« on: March 16, 2010, 18:22 »
Hi.

I know that blueberries need an ericateous soil and that they are often planted in containers but I want to put mine in the allotment. I've read up about the compost needed and I'm going to use Bob Flowerdews suggestion and plant them in the compost surrounded by plastic sheeting. My question is about the number of holes to put in the sheeting (I can't remember what Bob said about that).

I'm going to dig a hole roughly 18" deep, about 12" square at the bottom and 18" square at the top (so that it captures as much rain as possible), then line that hole with polythene.

So, do I punch lots of holes all around and in the bottom, or just a few all over, or a few holes in the sides (starting about 2" up from the base) and none in the bottom so that the water forms a sump to help during dry periods?

The ideal would be to have a moist compost all year round with little or no need to water. I want to get the balance right between too few holes, which would not allow the moisture to transfer into and out of the compost and too many holes, which would dilute the ericateous nature of the compost.

Also, is it suffient to punch the holes with a knife, or do they actually need to be bigger than slits?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

JohnB47

Re: Planting Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:42 »
No thoughts?

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:45 »
i like the idea of putting them in the polythene.

you will need to water a lot: they like it to be humid.

last year i did an experiment and had half of my bushes outside with no cover and they got very dry very quickly and died.

the other 2 i put inside a makeshift plastic greenhouse (they were in pots) (i just made a wire frame and clear plastic around it) and they stayed humid all summer (i threw a bucket full of water onto the ground inside once every two days) and i even got a few pieces of fruit.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:27 »
How well your plastic container drains will depend to some extent on how well the surrounding soil drains; you definitely don't want a "sump" of water to collect at the bottom as this will quite probably kill the plant.

My blueberries grow in open, compost-improved sandy soil and get a handful of growmore every year and a mulching of peat. Other than chucking some rainwater at them in dry spells that's it.

Only difficulty I have with them is that they have to be securely netted against birds who love blueberries even more than I do!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

noshed

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:42 »
I killed mine - I think it was our chalky tapwater, so bear that in mind.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

savbo

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 11:53 »
agree with no sump -  the idea is to impair drainage not stop it - so I would go for a dozen or so holes, all over the bottom (no point in the sides is there?) - stabbed through as I reckon slits would tend to increase in length

M

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 14:37 »
Last summer I followed the general info on this link:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/blueberries-cranberries-growing/

but I had to do mine in raised beds as I used an area full of old tree roots and boulders. I stapled heavy gauge poly to the inside of the wood bed frame and merely slashed a few holes in the bottom with a knife, mostly straight pokes rather than lengthy gouges. Perhaps a dozen on the bottom of the 4'x8' bed. No point in the sides. For yours, I'd think 4 cuts would be fine.
Blueberries are shallow rooted so the 18" depth is adequate.

Just checked my plants yesterday and they obviously love their new 'home' as they were loaded with leaf and fruit buds. Now I have to make protective cages against the thieving birds.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 20:06 »
I just bought several bags of ericacious compost and planted straight into the bag which I pierced several times then sunk into the soil. I just make sure to water regularly with rainwater from the butt. Works for me.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 21:04 »
I would also strongly recommend you buy a sachet of a mycorrhizal fungus and sprinkle it in your planting hole in direct contact with the roots.

This will give it the best possible start, as they sulk very easily if you mistreat them.  Only use collected rainwater, and keep it heavily mulched. 

If you are going to spoil one plant on your plot, make sure it is the blueberry.  Name it and talk to it if necessary :-)

Dominic

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 11:01 »
I just bombard mine with chicken poo.
Not had a great crop from it yet, but the plant seems to be doing fine.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

JohnB47

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 13:01 »
Thanks everyone. Lot's of useful info.

I was thinking that the holes that I would punch would not just let excess water drain out of the sunken container but would also let water from the surrounding soil seep into the blueberry area. But the replies seem to be around making sure the water can drain away from the container (eg "holes, all over the bottom - no point in the sides is there?" ), so maybe I'm wrong there. I'm hoping to create a situation where I need to water very rarely, otherwise I'd just put them in containers.

Thanks again for the tips.

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 00:54 »
The peat, coir, compost and other matter will hold a fair bit of water. You must remember that blueberries like regular moisture but not to sit in boggy puddles. With a few holes in the bottom, the bed/hole/whatever will slowly leach out excess water so it doesn't turn into a stinky swamp. The occasional rain will replenish water that has seeped away.

savbo

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 07:42 »
unless you're on a slope or/and have poor drainage a spade's depth down I don't think at lot of water moves laterally at surface levels - I reckon it's much more likely to drain out of the blueberry bag into the surrounding soil than the other way around...

xx
Planting Blueberries

Started by rocco1504 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2020, 12:08
by rocco1504
xx
Planting to grow among Blueberries

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 12:49
by Christine
xx
Planting blueberries in containers

Started by christokes87 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 19:50
by sunshineband
xx
Blueberries

Started by Terry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2010, 08:34
by Terry

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 30 queries.