No room for my Spuds

• 4 Replies

Lardman

No room for my Spuds
« on: March 15, 2010, 23:00 »
Things haven't go to plan again and Im going to be stuck for space.

Im only going to have 1/2 of the space ready for my spuds this year ,the other patch has a shed on it and is 3ft higher than it needs to be  :( so Im not likely to have it sorted any time soon either.

The area I have is a small patch 16x10ft. I've got swift and setanta spuds should I try for 2 plantings of swift and hope blight doesn't take the second - or would 1 planting of setanta be a better option ?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: No room for my Spuds
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 23:08 »
Id go for the one Setanta in the plot, just in case. You can try dustbins/planters for the Swift somewhere else on the plot/at home?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 23:10 by peapod »
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:34 »
There no room for the swift away else  :( (Im only growing in the garden - no plot) I think you might be right but its putting a lot of trust in Setanta's blight resistance.  Its not a case of if round here but when.

I don't mind not having the spuds but to have wasted the space and end up with no crop would be very frustrating.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:54 »
How about getting some spud planting bags and compost, manure etc and placing the bags on the area of uncleared plot - then you don't waste the space
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 15:42 »
I have a similar scenario brought about by ordering the same weight of seed and having much smaller ones. To deal with the excess i have opted for planting the early variety in the flower pots you see in supermarkets. I paid £1 for eight at Morrisons and was given them at Asda and Sainsbury. I collected over 60 in two days. I have made up a 50:50 mix of home compost and soil and will plant one potato in each.
Plant Swift in the buckets, because you will not so concerned with size and they will be used up first. Plant your maincrop Setanta in the garden.

xx
how much room do i need?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 22:17
by Sheena
xx
what should i do with this little bit of room?

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 02:58
by leeky
xx
I've run out of room

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 19:24
by Eightball
xx
Not enough room!

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 09:15
by HLS

Page created in 2.325 seconds with 28 queries.