What is the difference between Layers Mash and Pellets?

• 3 Replies

Bev

• Experienced Member
 :blink: Hi,

Newbie question here! I have fed my hens on layers mash since April last year when I got them because that is what they were having where I bought them from. Are layers pellets different/better other than the obvious shape?

Reading through the other replies about soft shells, which one of my hens has quite badly, I am wondering about trying a different brand of food, what brands do people like? Mine are currently having Growers Layers Mash which is the own brand of Central Wool Growers. It says it contains Limestone Flour and stuff to colour the yolks...hhhmmmph! I thought it was their lovely free range lifestyle that was doing that! :ohmy:

Learning a lot from all your messages, thank you very much!

Bev

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: What is the difference between Layers Mash and Pellets?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:54 »
Same ingredients, one is pellet form and the other is loose like say porridge oats. Layers pellets/mash will have various additives such as calcium to aid shell production.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:57 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:08 »
Hi Bev and welcome.
How old are your birds? Do they have a separate pot of oyster shell or crushed baked egg shell available at all times? This is needed to supplement their calcium intake needed for laying.
Pellets are less messy than mash and should you wish to change do so gradually by slowly increasing the amount of the new feed over a few weeks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:26 »
Hi Joyfull,

I bought my hens as point of lay pullets in April 09 so I think they should have been around 20 weeks then, just over 1 year now. They do have 2 pots of grit/oyster shell available at all times which I have put in their favourite hanging out places. They also free range 4 days a week.

I started another post called 'my chicken is eating her eggs' last week and someone suggested buying some just Oyster shell too and limestone flour as a supplement to try to help the soft egg problem.

My local farm store doesn't have limestone flour so I have not tried it yet but just wondered if while I am searching around whether another brand might have a better balance of ingredients for my hens.

The other 2 hens are laying ok eggs and it is just the soft ones that are getting eaten. She was laying well up to about 4 weeks ago. My Mum is a vet and thinks it may be a hormone imbalance which may sort itself out come the warmer weather.

I do have a toddler and hence plenty of kitchen scraps, think I might try cutting them right down for a while. The dog will have to have them again - the dog was getting too much too a while back! Will have to stop my toddler throwing food around!

Thanks again,

Bev

xx
Layers Pellets or Mash?

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 11:13
by Topscaff
xx
layers pellets or mash

Started by legend jeff on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 20:23
by Old Whiskers
xx
Layers Mash or Pellets?

Started by parsleypig on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 09:50
by AmandaH
xx
Layers Mash or pellets?

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 08:55
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 29 queries.