A question

• 9 Replies

katanadan

A question
« on: March 09, 2010, 19:22 »
Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone had much dealing with an egg bound lf orpington? She's about 36 weeks old and been standing like a penguin since Sunday. We've brought her in and kept her warm, treated her to a long warm bath and had the fantastic job of putting warm olive oil to her vent. But still she doesn't look happy.

She's eating, drinking and pooping - lovely smell in the kitchen  :wacko:

I don't want to shell out a fortune on vets bills, but I don't want her to suffer. Should I let her ride it out? She hasn't laid before even though she was pol at the start of winter.

Any ideas or tales of previous experiences would be great   :)

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: A question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 23:34 »
hi there! are you sure she is egg bound? if her only symptoms are standing like a penguin maybe she is just getting ready to lay soon, especially if she has not yet laid any eggs. is she acting normal andscratching around eating and pooing normally?  ive got a little rhodie who has bandy legs - looks like shes been riding a horse :D i hope soemone with knowledge comes along soon as ive never experienced this myself though i know plenty have on this site. good luck, lucyloux

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 03:05 »
I don't like the sound of this hen and I'd be inclined to take her to a vets asap.  You seem to be doing the right things for egg bound.  35 weeks without laying and certainly the stance sounds like a problem passing a soft shelled egg but it could be, or may develop into, egg yolk pertonitis which is a serious condition and rapid treatment is advisable.  Does her rear end feel soft , swollen and hot which might indicate an infection which will need antibiotic treatment and catching early.
HF
Truth through science.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 20:11 »
hi katanadan - how's your girl now?

katanadan

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 14:10 »
Hi all, well she seems fine on the face of it. still eating and drinking, having a quick chat if I walk past. She's grooming herself and was trying to dustbath in the hay. I opened the door for her to have a walk around the kitchen earlier but when I did that she didn't look to keen and adopted her penguin stance again (she hasn't fone it for the last few days). I checked her for swelling but everything appears to be normal? Just her laboured walking and wing opening  ???

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 18:37 »
glad she seems ok Katanadan - when you say she is  'wing opening' what is it that she is doing? - is she trying to balance or is it similar to when they squat ?

katanadan

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 19:05 »
She sort of holds it out for a few seconds, not like when they squat for the cockerel though. I put her out on the garden earlier and she had a wonder around but wasn't as she should be, almost like one of her legs is damaged (I checked and they're fine).

I'll see how she is in the morning. If it is egg binding or periostisisitisis  :wacko: how long would she usually have? I've seen other forums where people are amazed a bird has lasted more than 3 days.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 22:11 »
hope she's getting better :)

katanadan

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 16:37 »
Well good news. I've just come home to a chicken + 1 egg  :D

It looks like she was just having some difficulties laying that first one. I'll keep her inside untill the weekend is up and then get her back to her flock if she seems ok. I don't want to keep her away too long so as not to risk her being bullied on her return.

PHEW!   :happy:

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 17:54 »
Great news.  Hope this turns out to be just a one off and she now knows how it's done!
HF

xx
poo cleaning...a how to question??? oh, and another smaller question

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:40
by hillfooter
xx
Egg question!

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 07:04
by Bonniebean
xx
another question

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 18:20
by crowndale
xx
another question

Started by brookegard on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 11:08
by brookegard

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 36 queries.