floor material for concrete based run

• 11 Replies

judesailor

floor material for concrete based run
« on: March 01, 2010, 19:46 »
Hoping to get ex-bat hens very soon but not sure what floor covering we should give them as the house and run will be located on concrete (most fox proof place in our garden).  Any ideas?  My husband is thinking of bark chippings, but this could prove to be expensive over time.

judesailor
'Pull yourself together' are words often spoken to people who can't

dizzylizzie

Re: floor material for concrete based run
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 21:42 »
Hi, its hens natural insticts to dig and scratch! Bark chippings, soil etc would be fab. Some of our members have got in touch with tree surgeons and managed to get a lorry full very cheaply or even free :D

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:11 »
It's woodchip rather than bark, but yes, if you can contact a tree surgeon, their chippings are small and soft (including leaves and twigs) and make a great bedding.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

wardy

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:37 »
Hi,My coop and run is on concrete too, I put some soil down and it also doubles as a dust bath (it is so funny to watch them do this :) :lol:). They'll be fine.
Regards Wardy.

joolie

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 18:18 »
i have a large run with a paved floor and put wood chips down from my local timber merchant.  My girls love it and it stays sweet for months. I scatter meal worms and corn in for them when they are unable to free range and when it comes to cleaning out its simple to do.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 18:35 »
It's woodchip rather than bark, but yes, if you can contact a tree surgeon, their chippings are small and soft (including leaves and twigs) and make a great bedding.

No Beulah, i buy bark chippings
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Bark-Chippings/invt/200248

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:53 »
Sorry - I mean that that stuff from a tree surgeon would be woodchip! I was told not to use bark because of the mould spores, though I did have it down for a while as I was hunting for a tree surgeon. It's much cheaper than buying it from a DIY or garden store, too.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:31 »
with a tree surgeon Beulah make sure that they haven't chopped laurel or other nasty trees in with the batch you get as the laurel leaves can contain cyanide which gets released when chopped or burnt  :ohmy:
Staffies are softer than you think.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 17:42 »
We have concrete on the base of our run and we spread Hemcore or Easibed quite liberally on top of it and it seems to work great!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

amythyst5040

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 10:51 »
hi i have an eglu cube on a concrete base. I have always used bark chippings and wait for the deals at homebase. i never considered a tree surgeon will be exploring that idea. thanks

grumpydad

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 13:17 »
have had tree surgeon chippings, but now have easibed, its easier to poo pick, and they make their own baths in it, so i just put a bit of louse powder in it and they de louse themselves

littlewitch

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 15:00 »
hi there, funny this, but i've just come from another website (ordering some red mite powder) and that supplier had some rubber chippings for use in permanent chook runs - apparently easily hosed down to clean and long lasting!  Priced about 7 pounds for 10 Kgs
but minimum of 10 bags to be ordered!! So.... as usual 'you pay your money & take your pick'

If you want the supplier (& I'm NOT connected to them in any shape or form) they're called Wells and they're based in Ebbw Vale.

xx
Run material

Started by Aunt Sally on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 20:03
by Big Jen
xx
Material to lay down in run

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 16:17
by ---Snakey---
xx
Nest box material

Started by WhatCameFirst on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 30, 2008, 12:51
by WhatCameFirst
xx
Nest Box Material

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 08:43
by The Norfolk Turkey

Page created in 1.33 seconds with 38 queries.