how many potatoes

• 5 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
how many potatoes
« on: March 09, 2010, 10:56 »
Hi, i have bought three 2.5kg bags of seed potatoes, one firsts, one seconds and one main crop and i was wondering how many potatoes i can expect to get. i know that this will depend on local conditions, wether etc and a load of other things but i was wondering if anyone may have a rough idea.

Salmo

Re: how many potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:07 »
You will probably get about 1 to 1.5 Kg per plant from the seconds and maincrop. Earlies will be less as you are harvesting them as immature potatoes.

bigben

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:30 »
Massa - I am also in Sheff and last year my pentland javlin earlies planted in black bags on my patio gave a pan of spuds for every seed spud. I could not say what the weights were but it worked out at roughly a meal per seed spud.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 13:22 »
where abouts is your plot, ive got mine at gleadless town end. Can you save seed potatoes for next year or will they not last, i think i may ge ttoo many  :ohmy:

bigben

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 13:51 »
My plot is Park Rifles which is just off City Road. I dont think you can keep seed spuds until next year but you might be able to squeeze in a few in bags on a patio etc. I help look after a friends plot and have one of my own I have just taken over. Like you, I ended up buying too many seed spuds but have got some plastic bags for growing spuds in. Each takes 3 or 4 so my path is going to have 10 of these sat on the path and I am going to grow the earlies in bags and the second earlies and maincrop on the allotment. If you have a patio or somewhere to stand bags you could use your earlies and plant the others on your plot if space is tight. Then use the earlies as you need them and once they have gone you should be able to harvest and store your maincrop.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 22:16 »
i think i will give that a try, i have a small garden at home but a large south facing patio where i grew some toms last year before i got my plot. thanks for the advise. matt.

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 01, 2017, 21:21
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.633 seconds with 36 queries.