Testing tomato feed/water solution

• 6 Replies

trogg

Testing tomato feed/water solution
« on: March 04, 2010, 23:21 »
Hi. I’m designing 3 different types of self watering systems for my tomatoes, cucumbers and  peppers. Two of the systems will need topping up every month or so, so I can add the correct feed to the water supply at the same time, however the third system will use rain water which means the feed will get diluted.
what I am trying to find out is can the feed/water solution be tested for strength ? So I can top up accordingly .

ta

:)

boing boing

Trillium

Re: Testing tomato feed/water solution
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 15:01 »
You know we'll need pix of the units  :D as well as end results. We're a nosy lot.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 16:04 »
Hopefully it is a feed that colours the water,  you could see if it's been diluted too much.
Sorry I'm not aware of a way to test it :unsure:

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 16:25 »
I cant think any accurate way of determining the dilution except by lab test, on a continuous flow system.

The only other way i can think is to have an intermediate resevoir like  a pair of butts, where you fill one, put in a measured amount of feed, and feed the plants with that whilist the rainwater fills the other one up, and  as you drain the first one out, you then dose the second one and switch over

Yabba

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 16:38 »
Have a read of the alternative "herb" sites, they know all about stuff like that ;)

Based on some posts on a chilli site you'll want a ph/ec meter to tell the nutrient level in your solution.

¥

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 16:47 »
All I can think of is a hydrometer (as used for measuring the specific gravity of fermenting liquids) but don't know whether the variations in SG you will need to measure will be enough for this kind of instrument to work.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

trogg

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 20:12 »
Thanks for your replies,  :)
I’m going to have a play with the 4 idea’s put forward  and I will take pictures and let you know how I get on.
To be honest my idea is just a mash of what other people have done, and all use ‘capillary’ as a water/feed intake.

xx
milk and water solution

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 11:15
by pumpkinpatch
xx
weed water as feed

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 16:21
by compostqueen
xx
Multi-purpose feed in my water butt

Started by gsc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 09:33
by JayG
xx
tomato feed

Started by Lionel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 09:37
by woodburner

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 30 queries.