Paths and small decking area...

• 6 Replies

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:37 »
Hi all,

:idea:  I'm looking for some ideas of what I can plant for low ground cover on paths between veg beds, and where I want a small decking area / gazebo. I dont want grass!!  I've heard Thyme is good for low ground cover - any other suggestions? Ideally should be hard wearing, and low maintenance!  :roll:

Thanks
:mrgreen:   GAZ   :mrgreen:

hotterotter

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:43 »
chamomile is good

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 22:57 »
Quote from: "hotterotter"
chamomile is good

Thanks for that!

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

WG.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 22:59 »
Why don't you want grass?  Nothing else is going to stand up to the traffic on a path, methinks.

Chamomile as a lawn maybe - but a path??

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 14:52 »
Agree with you WG - chamomile, while nice, is definitely not hardwearing.  If slabs aren't a choice or in the budget, try a path of pallet wood. Easily moved, and replaced when it wears, and usually free. Strips of weed barrier in between should keep out the grass/weeds.

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 11:16 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Why don't you want grass?  Nothing else is going to stand up to the traffic on a path, methinks.

Chamomile as a lawn maybe - but a path??

Yes, maybe you are right :oops:

VickyR

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 12:47 »
I inherited a terraced lotto with a grassy path down the middle - aka bog of mank with nasty tufty raggy bits of grass along the edges, hanging over my beds and needing clipping all the time so here are some grass free alternatives
My friends reckon I am a bit particular about the appearance of the plot but how about one of the following:

make as if doing a raised bed but on a mini scale and then fill in with stones/gravel (depending on what your plot is like there may be loads of stones lurking or not...)  You can then put something hardwearing ish along the edges - thyme, chamomile if there is a gap between that and your beds that you don't want grass on.  Am a big fan of the creeping nasturtium style of edging but that's cos I've got slopes of up to a foot down to the beds, nobody with a barrow on my plot really is as happy about this though as they hear me shouting "mind that plant!" as they make their way down to the bottom.

or if grass is preferable, keep a strip down the middle for wear then something clippable and hardy , say small lavenders (depends on size of your path really) along the edges.  a mate of mine has done some nice stuff with herringbone bricks but just because there were loads hanging around.

Around my seating area I've got loads of alchemilla (ladies mantle?) which is low maintenance and fairly low and spready.  What about trying some red clover on areas that won't get trodden on too regularly - great green manure and looks quite nice. I tried thyme but have found lavender from seed is much better at the moment as far as coverage is concerned.

Best of luck with it!
Vic

xx
grass seed for paths and sitting area

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2007, 14:08
by new_2_veg
xx
2 or 3 beds in small area.

Started by BOB3554 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 14:04
by willnbirdie
xx
making the most of small garden area

Started by doodledo on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 15:35
by Trillium
xx
Small tomatoes, small success?

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 10:17
by Mike.white

Page created in 1.073 seconds with 28 queries.