Will ex-batts tolerate others?

• 5 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Will ex-batts tolerate others?
« on: February 27, 2010, 10:22 »
Hi, I'm on the lookout for a spot of advice. I've had my girls since last March, 4 of my original 6 having survived this far, and although I'm keen to have some more ex-batts this year I'd also like to introduce a bit of variety.
A local free range farm is selling off some of its stock of Black Rock and Silver Link hens, (I guess they're done with this batch!) and I'd like to know if anyone out there has successfully mixed outsiders with their ex-batts as I've heard they can be the racist of the chicken world.
Also, I've heard of Black Rock but am not familiar with Silver Link...
I should add that my girls also free range so the new life shouldn't be too much of a shock to the others.
Help, please!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:24 by Catsmuvva »

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Will ex-batts tolerate others?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 10:55 »
hi catsmuvva - i will watch your post with interest as i hope to get some rescue hens on 20th march from dorchester , i l live near bournemouth, (dont know what type they are though) - are your black rocks and silvers comng from a local source too?im getting my girls through the bhwt but only plan to get 6 to begin with then as you siad, add variety later on and was wondering how they would take to each other!! good luck lucyloux

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 11:01 »
In my experiance, introducing new hens to ex-bats is exactly the same as introducing any hens to any flock, regardless of the breed. I started with 6 ex-bats, i now have 19 including a turkey and a cockerel, they all live together as one flock and seem very happy :)

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 11:18 »
Thanks for that, dizzylizzie, it's good to know that it can be done without upsetting the apple cart!
Hi lucylou, I guess you'll be getting your girls from Taylor's, the RSPCA centre at Kingston Maurward, who work with BHWT. That's where my girls came from last year. The other source I've just found in the Blackmore Vale magazine, waiting for them to ring me back. I hope you know what you're getting into, I've found them to be very addictive and a great source of amusement - but also some sadness. Good on you for taking some on! Mind you, in a couple of years time, if all goes to plan, there won't be any caged birds to rescue - YEY!!!

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:46 »
I have mixed ex bats with other chickens with no trouble. Do not mix them straight away as the ex bats will be weak and will need time to adjust and get their strength back it is also a shock for the ex bats to be able to get out and move around so they need a bit of time to get used to things. But it is well worth doing and they become lovely chickens that follow you around and get very tame with time. :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 13:43 »
Agree with Lizzie it will be just the same as introducing any new birds - generally they will hate all newcommers until the pecking order has been established then calm will reign once more  :lol: :lol: untill you get some more new ones and it starts all over again  ;)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
How much disturbance will chickens tolerate?

Started by Nick B on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2007, 21:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
My 4 ex batts

Started by conventgirl on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 15:27
by nettynoodles1
xx
getting ex batts

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 11:06
by mtoyne
xx
New ex Batts are here

Started by Chappers on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 12:21
by Chappers

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 29 queries.