Whats in your Coldframe now?

• 15 Replies

MoreWhisky

Whats in your Coldframe now?
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:29 »
My task for today is go and buy a coldframe thought its about time i had one as not bothered before.

So please tell me what you all got in your cold frame now........
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Slowgrind

Re: Whats in your Coldframe now?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:33 »
Onions in pots.  :tongue2:

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:01 »
Lavender seeds which haven't germinated yet. ! The rest of it is filled with empty seed trays and pots ! ::)

My coldframes is very old and has wooden sides and plastic glazing only on the top surface. I have found that light doesn't get to my seedlings that well. It's sort of on it's last legs.

So I have just bought a 'Billyoh seed house'. This takes up same floor space as a coldframe, but is about 5' high so you get 3 or 4 shelves. It has double skin uv plastic glazing panels ( on all sides and top) and comes flat packed. In fact your post is very timely as it was all delivered this week while i was working away and I am now sat in dining room with all the bits around me scrating my chin on how to start. Think I'll have to get hubby to help out with it.

When the seed house is erected I am intending to put my leek and brocolli seedlings in there and possibly my seed potatoes to chit, but I think I need a min / max temp thermometer to check if it protects agains the frost before I go that far. I am intending to put lettuce in there to germinate, carrots, perhaps start off some more brassicas. But these are just my plans and don't know how early in the year to start using it.

So am glad you asked the question will be interested in the replies. :)

Lottiegob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 10:54 »
I kept my small rhubard plants which I grew from seed last year as I didn't think they would be boistrous enough to survive the winter.  I actually just checked them 5 minutes ago and gave them a little drink (first since putting in there) as the compost was very dry but the plants are starting to wake up.   I grew rhubard from seed the previous year but only kept them on a cool windowsill and they didn't survive, I think they like a little cold.

andtiggertoo - if you dont mind me asking - how much was your coldframe? it sounds very posh.
I'm queen of my own compost heap and I'm getting used to the smell.

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 13:40 »
Hi andtiggertoo

I am thinking of buying one of these coldframes as I didn't have one last year and it was a big job keep taking the seeds out of greenhouse and putting them back in at night.
http://www.garden-products.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=21832

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 13:47 »
lottiegob it was £109 !!! I decided to treat myself.

It's made of thickish wood and comes with doubleskin uv plastic glazing. It has a top bit that is like a coldframe with hinged lid, lower down it has doors that open outwards.

I am a but surprised by how much of it I have to put together, neither me or him indoors are diy experts. Lateness of reply due to spending last 2 hours on it and still not finished.

Think it will be good and sturdy when finished. Hubby looked at list of tools required for project according to instruction and laughed out loud when it said spirit level, he looked at me and said "that's it then doomed to be a disaster"  :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I had the know how I'd post a link on here  :)

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 14:01 »
OK lootiegob and broadhaven this is the one I bought and the website i bought it from. They delivered promptly. Can't say how it will turn out as we are going to finish it tonight. The woodwork is more robust than finely finished, I think the euphamism used in the instruction sheet was 'rustic' :lol:

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Greenhouses/BillyOh-Grow-House-Deluxe

I looked at the one you linked in your post broadhaven - it's similar but aluminium not wood. I think the wood will be heavier and less likely to blow away, I also intend to put a couple of extra nails in and attach with wire to an old gate post that's next to where this will be standing. The billoh is slightly cheaper too.

Let me know what you decide on and we can swap notes ! :)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 15:06 »
Oi guys this thread is called whats in your cold frame not buying one!

You wanna talk about the choices go to EQUIPMENT section!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 16:09 »
Some young flower plants that we have brought on from seed, in our home built  :tongue2: coldframe.  :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 16:28 »
i have giant onions from seed a few experimental carrots(parmex) and some alpine strawberries from seed in my homemade coldframe :D

nobby90

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 19:15 »
I dont have a cold frame but use my Polly Tunel in stead.  Got Garlic in pots and will be planting onion sets in pots tomorrow.

lesley1322

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 20:57 »
I have got a cabbages in modules (prob not the best idea but my seed beds arnt ready at the lottie yet). I've also got garlic and onion sets growing in pots and today i planted some lovely dark red sunflowers :)
:)

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 21:41 »
Redcap radishes - ready for eating and surprisingly mild in flavour.
Winter density lettuce - not far off being ready.
Garlic - green tips just breaking the surface of the compost.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 06:30 »
yesterday i had lots of empty pots and a few slugs which were promptly squished :)
i planted summer cabbage, lettuce, beetroot and spring onions all in cells.
once we get to the beginning of april they should have had a good start and it should be warm enough for them to be planted out.

madcat

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 09:51 »
A max/min thermometer which is stopping me getting carried away with planting stuff.  It is still saying -3 overnight for the last couple of nights.   :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
ColdFrame

Started by brucesgirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 06, 2007, 21:32
by brucesgirl
xx
Coldframe....Do I need one?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post December 25, 2011, 17:34
by davejg
xx
Greenhouse and coldframe?

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 21:48
by Elcie
xx
greenhouse / coldframe useage

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 08:22
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.514 seconds with 29 queries.