What to grow?

• 4 Replies

Gardener Girl

• Experienced Member
What to grow?
« on: February 21, 2010, 16:00 »
I have an area of my garden that used to house chickens and lots of rats. I now want to grow vegtables here. What do you think would be best to put in here this year?

GG 

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: What to grow?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 16:22 »
Hi GG,

We replaced our chicken area with a polytunnel. As it went in mid-season last year, just to use the thing we grew salads and LOADS of french beans in it. :D This year it will house the tomatoes and peppers/chillis.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 17:25 »
Really depends on the quality of your soil. If it hasn't grown anything for a while, I would dig it over add compost plant early potatoes and follow with winter greens: Sprouts ,PSB, Cabbages etc. Start them off in pots and they can follow the potatoes as you dig them up.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 17:35 »
I would agree that it depends on the quality of your soil, but also how big the plot is, how much sun some or all of it gets, and possibly above all, what you like to eat (no point growing stuff you don't like!)

Loads of info all over this site about growing different fruit and veg, but of course you can always ask here if you can't find the info you need (be warned: you often get more answers than you bargained for!)  ::)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 19:16 »
As well as knowing your soil, another key factor is to plant only things you know you'll eat. Its nice to experiment with other veg but until you've got the knack of what's most important for you, save experiments until you're more sure of things. Variety can quickly get out of hand and veg you really want will suffer.

clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
What to grow?

Started by blackhobbescat on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 16:22
by WG.

Page created in 0.763 seconds with 37 queries.