Chicken poooooo compost

• 2 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Chicken poooooo compost
« on: February 18, 2010, 15:40 »
This, I am aware could also go on the GYO but as it is more chook related I put it here  :tongue2:
Ok, the chooks will be coming soon (fingers crossed) I want to compost the poo and bedding, the question to which I am finding it hard to get an answer is, will any of the so called hygene products I will be using in the coop, ie: red mite powder have any bearing on the compost? From what I have read/ researched most if not all are organic/ natural products so I assume all are safe to compost with the bedding and poo.
Feedback please  :(
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

lisa80

Re: Chicken poooooo compost
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 17:47 »
we spread all the straw from our pen on our allotment nothing in that as such but i burn my shavings from the actual coop  :)will be interested to know the answer as i use jeyes and diatom and stalosan in the coop, so when the weathers dryer will probably start to compost if its ok to do so.Am only burning it at the moment as there is so much of it with the wet weather am changing bedding much more often  :(wish girls would wipe their feet before entering the coop :blush:

littlewitch

Re: Chicken poooooo compost
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 18:22 »
Well Aidy,  We've had our girls since last June and have been composting their bedding since we had them.  first was with 'chop straw' but then  with a hemp based horsey type product (Aubiose - similar to Hemcore).  The hemp bedding is much easier to sift the poo from making it more economical to use (both the chop straw & hemp product about same price for similar size bales) it also seems to break down quite well and less flies around during hot weather.

Oh, if you're wondering what we use to sift the stuff with - we already had a scoop from when we had a cat (to use with the litter tray - these are easily purchased for not very much).  Hope this helps - you're really going to enjoy the girls when they arrive - some of the best pets we've ever had (even with the recent problem)

xx
Chicken poo/compost?

Started by justin hender on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 22:59
by compostqueen
xx
Chicken and compost ????

Started by nuttymama on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 10:28
by Nellies
xx
Rats in my compost bin - Chicken related

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 02, 2012, 13:11
by kegs
xx
Wormy chicken manure for compost heap

Started by mumofstig on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 21:27
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 36 queries.