Solar Greenhouse? + Storing Heat

• 14 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
« on: May 26, 2007, 00:59 »
I have recently read about 'solar greenhouses' that have many features to create the right temperatures for winter heat + summer cooling.  One of the features that sounded great was a solar powered fan that collects heat from the apex in the roof and releases it throught he night when temp lowers.  Does anyone know where there are plans to create something like this.  I have treid google but havent had much luck
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

shaun

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 06:35 »
like that bloke of "its not easy being green" ?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 10:29 »
I bought a couple of small solar powered fans from Ebay France. Just search on solaire rather than solar. I wondered about importing them myself but gave up on the idea when the Chinese manufacturer emailed - "You send $20,000 we send in 6 week or so" - I'm absolutely sure they would.......

Neither are too powerful - but it's very feasible to do.

A more passive system could be built if you had some old radiators painted black to absorb heat and allow natural convection into some water barrels.

This would collect and store heat that would release at night into the house. (Maybe you would need a non return valve to stop back flow when the stored water is warmer than outside?)

In summer, just switch off and open the windows.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

CHRIS THE VEG

HI
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 20:51 »
NEED TO SORT SOMTHING LIKE THAT FOR MY GLASS HOUSE
home grown is best

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 21:02 »
If you have a lean to type greenhouse paint the brick work black to absorb heat during the day and they will release the warmth again at night.
I have a book on this kind of thing, but no idea where it is  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 23:51 »
I want to try a heat sink in my greenhouses.  The one they did in the second series of its not easy being green was better than the one they did with the imploded glass.  After all, where do you get a glass imploder around here?  In the second one, they lined the hole in the ground with some silver backed stuff they found, and instead of glass in the hole, they filled pop bottles with water, then surrounded them and the drainpipe with insulation, then taped an old computer fan to the top of the drainpipe, which was connected to an old car battery until they could afford a small solar panel.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 08:53 »

WG.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 09:46 »
If you want to store serious amounts of heat then it is much better to use water-soluble crystals which undergo a phase change within the expected temperature range.

Simply put, if they form crystals when it is cold & dissolve when it is warm, then the amount of heat stored/yielded is vastly more than from the equivalent volume of water.

I'll need to do some googling to find a suitable substance for you but maybe Salkeela can help me out here?

WG.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 10:02 »
This is what I was thinking of, there may be others which would give a phase change at a lower tempertaure ...

Glauber's salt
A salt, sodium sulphate decahydrate, that melts at 90°F; a component of eutectic salts that can be used for storing heat.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 14:35 »
I have looked at its not easy being green, theresa detailed discussion about this on the forum of theshow.  

http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103642&sid=e31d57ab35a0c9d5939aa4c6a917a6f2

my greenhouse is only 8x6 and on concrete.  could a heat sink be put under some benching? or is there a smaller scale idea to store heat

WG.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 15:26 »
Quick, easy and almost free.

Fill 25litre containers with water, add a little lime to keep water sweet.   Store under your staging; the more the merrier.

Annie

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 20:24 »
Thanks Pookey for the it`s not easy being green link,just had a good look and there`s some interesting stuff there.,and an interesting forum but very serious!

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 20:51 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"

Fill 25litre containers with water, add a little lime to keep water sweet.   Store under your staging; the more the merrier.

Do I just leave the water to absorb heat or would I still need to fit a fan to bring the heat from the apex?

WG.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 21:25 »
Quote from: "pookey"
Quote from: "whisky_golf"

Do I just leave the water to absorb heat or would I still need to fit a fan to bring the heat from the apex?

No fan required although if you fit one to give downdraft it will help a little.  Probably better to vent the apex since your GH could overheat otherwise.  

The water will help to keep the temperature up overnight - it is only short term storage

noshed

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 21:32 »
I use black plastic containers under my staging. Whether it makes any difference I don't know it's been so warm this winter.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Solar Mulch

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 09, 2007, 20:51
by shaun
xx
Solar Power for Green House

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 09, 2007, 16:00
by Puff
xx
Is it the heat?

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2023, 20:31
by Nobbie
xx
Heat Vs Light

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 12:52
by Mark's Sussex Allotment

Page created in 0.622 seconds with 31 queries.