Is it safe to site a chicken house and run one side of a laburnum?

• 9 Replies

5coles

We are thinking of getting chickens 3-4 and the "best" site would be the other side of the laburnum tree. (The childrens trampolene is one side). There are no low branches. Is this safe for them?

Any advice on chicken housing / run size would be nice too since its pretty overwhelming!

Thanks

Jeanette

I do know that Laburnum is poisonous to dogsnot sure about chickens but i would ere on the side if caution. If possible try to make the run as large as you can because if the chickens cant free range they can get bored and that can cause problems. What type of chicken are you thinking of getting.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
It's the seeds of the laburnum that are poisonous so the height of the branches is irrelevant ... sorry xx

Would agree that as much space as you can give them would be good  :)
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

5coles

Haven't decided on what chickens yet still looking into it.

We are planning a large run ie: not a tiny one that comes with hen house

meterman

• Experienced Member
Hi jeanette but whats a dogsnot and do they lay lots of eggs :lol:
sorry just made me snigger when reading

lucylou

• Experienced Member
hi 5coles, welcome to the site! ive always beleived that laburnum is the most poisinous plant in the garden. when my kids were little we removed a tree as i was so worried about them eating the seeds. i think it is poisinous to sheep etc (even the leaves) but not sure about hens - they dont usually eat things that are toxic to them but if the leaves and seeds were dropping into their pen they might  :( On a more positive note - hens are fantastic pets for all the family and very rewarding, you can get loads of info off this site if you need it . good luck :D lucyloux

darcyhen

we've a large laburnum in our garden and no-one has died. However, the chickens only arrived last March. Could seeds have dropped before then?

michelle

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
it would have seeds every year so will have dropped them whilst you have had your girls Michelle, so your girls must have just ignored them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

darcyhen

clever girls!

Flowerpower136

Assuming it flowered last year?

Seeds are poisonous, and I always avoid them in gardens where there are likely to be children, because whilst most kids don't go round grazing on the greenery, the seeds are in pods, like peas, so a bit more tempting.

If you are worried, just cut down the flowers before they turn into seeds.  If you can reach?

I've give up trying to work out what chickens can and can't eat.  Paxo managed to eat some rat bait and still lived on!

thumbup
The scruffy, frugal side of chicken-keeping!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

42 Replies
Last post December 26, 2010, 13:35
by Kym503
xx
Chicken is sneezing - Is it safe

Started by MrsEmmaG on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 19:47
by karlooben
xx
Why do cockerals wobble their heads from side to side?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 21, 2012, 20:47
by ANHBUC
xx
Omlet Chicken Breed site just got better.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 16:03
by Vember

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 37 queries.