I have 6 raspberry canes but nowhere to plant them yet :(

• 3 Replies

Dan78

• Experienced Member
Have been busy digging my new allotment over the last month and have managed about half!

Ordered some raspberries and they arrived today.. The little leaflet says to give freshly dug ground a week or so before planting.. the leaflet also says to plant as soon as possible after recieving plants..

The plants are in a plastic bag with the canes sticking out and I can dig up a bed for them this weekend. Should i wait a while before planting into my newly dug bed or can i stick them straight in after removing the grass and a quick dig over ? If I should wait what can i do with the plants in the meantime ?

Also is there anything i can do to make the soil nice for them ? I have some blood fish and bone but not sure whats best for raspberries ?

Thanks people.. im new to all this :)

Trillium

Re: I have 6 raspberry canes but nowhere to plant them yet :(
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 01:48 »
You have bare-rooted plants in the boxes so they'll need to be planted asap. The soil should be well weeded, preferably with some sort of composted manure added along with a good handful or 2  of your bone & fish meals, all mixed in, a deep watering if the soil is dry, then the roots planted. They don't go in too deep, just at the level you see on the stalks (rasps are shallow rooted plants). Keep the soil area well weeded so roots don't compete, and water often the first season if necessary. Your plants won't need any root pruning but maybe just a bit of stalk pruning. And don't worry about frost - raspberries are as hardy as they come.
Once they come into production in another year or two, you'll probably have to net them against birds who adore anything red.

Forgot to add that in the meantime you can pull out the plants from those awful bags and put them in a bucket with a bit of water and potting mix, but only up to a week or the roots will start to rot after that. they're still small and can't handle excessive water.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 01:50 by Trillium »

goodegg

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 16:23 »
when you dig your plot for them do the gardeners shuffle ,walk over where your going to plant them to settle the soil then you can plant them the reason for not planting newly dug soil is to let it settle.

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 19:20 »
Thankyou both very much! I think i may temporarily plant them together loosely in the garden and then decide where they are going and dig it up over the weekend. Dont have any rotted manure sadly as I have only had the allotment just over a month but will stick in a bag of compost (with the bfb) and hope for the best!

Thanks again for the advice :)

xx
when to plant raspberry canes

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 13:19
by mumofstig
xx
Raspberry canes - how many to plant

Started by TheWhiteRabbit on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2014, 18:46
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
Am I too late to order and plant Raspberry canes

Started by Truffle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2021, 14:55
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Just planted raspberry canes in pots .. when should I plant them out ?

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 06, 2013, 22:18
by gremlin

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 28 queries.