mouldy seeds

• 7 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
mouldy seeds
« on: February 11, 2010, 22:00 »
hi, im new to growing my own produce and last week i sowed some seeds in compost i got from the allotment shop and mixed in some pearlite as i was shown to do. i placed them on the windowsill in the spare room at home. i have been checking them everyday and they have not started to come up yet (i didnt expect them too really) but there is a small amount of white furry mould on top of the seed trays. is this normal? or do i need to do anything?

Trillium

Re: mouldy seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 01:54 »
You have a fungus called damp off which happens from excessive watering or too wet soil mix or not enough air circulation along with too cool temps.

You can sort this with a spray of a damping off treatment available at garden centres or just brew a bit of camomile tea, let it cool, then lightly water the plants with the tea. It has very good anti fungal properties. Be sure your pots have drainage holes and are not close to drafts or cold areas and that should sort them.

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 02:38 »
It might not be damping off. I had a problem like this on some of the modules I sowed onion seed in and it doesn't seem to have affected germination... Damping off won't survive cheshunt compound but this stuff seems to.... I think it's in the compost cos I can't see it being in the sand that I mixed it with,

What seeds are you growing? Are you using a heated propagator?

chrisc

zazen999

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:50 »
Whatever it is; it's because you have soil that is too wet. Stop watering until the soil is dry, then pour water into the saucer and what hasn't been absorbed in 15 mins pour away.

I am watering my seedlings about once a week at the minute. And only if they need it.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:25 »
hi, thanks for the advise, the seeds are on the windowsills at home above the radiators. i planted them in modules last sunday. i did water them quite heavy with warm water and the compost is still very moist. i have planted several types of chillis two types of toms some primo cabbage and some kale that was given to me by an other plot holder.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:35 »
The kale and cabbage do not need that warmth. They will go leggy as soon as they germinate. They need no more than a cool greenhouse or frame.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:40 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

goodegg

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 16:16 »
have  your seed trays got  tops on them if so leave tops off to let them dry out a bit what seeds have you planted is it to warm where they are

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 16:54 »
they have not got lids on, ill move the kale and cabbage to another spot, thanks for the advise, there is so much to learn!

xx
Seeds gone mouldy

Started by Lottie Digger on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2020, 00:58
by CHRISDONOHUE
xx
Mouldy Peas

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2006, 15:31
by John
xx
mouldy garlic

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 22, 2007, 10:51
by mushroom
xx
Mouldy Mibuna

Started by Munchkin on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 21:51
by Munchkin

Page created in 0.646 seconds with 36 queries.